Search the forum,

Discuss Bsp brass elbows going into brass mixer. Seating of the elbows? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

See photos attached.

The issue is that when the elbows are aligned up in the direction they need to go, they are loose, not seated.

How is this resolved? Is there some kind of brass washer I can put in to take up the turns?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230812_132823.jpg
    20230812_132823.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230812_132903.jpg
    20230812_132903.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 19
Ptfe tape on the threads

Thank you. But I really don't feel confident in that. Is there a suitable copper or fibre washer one could use so that the fitting could be made properly tight?

Not designed for a fibre washer sorry

If you have the space, use a straight 1/2” - 15mm male iron instead of an angled one.
Then use a long tail street elbow to get the correct direction for your pipes.

How were you planning on sealing it without any ptfe tape?

PTFE tape/loctite 55/liquid ptfe is what 99.9% of all plumbers would use in that situation.

If you want to go full cowboy just chuck 3-4 1/2" rubber washers in there and tighten until its in the right position. If there is no seat for the rubber washers then the only option is to use ptfe

The
How were you planning on sealing it without any ptfe tape?

PTFE tape/loctite 55/liquid ptfe is what 99.9% of all plumbers would use in that situation.

If you want to go full cowboy just chuck 3-4 1/2" rubber washers in there and tighten until its in the right position. If there is no seat for the rubber washers then the only option is to use ptfe
The ptfe tape for sealing goes without saying.

But it is would be a weak point of the pipe structure even with pipe clips, if there is not adequate rigidity at that point.

Whereas it would seem to me the cowboy approach would be to just live with that non rigid point as long as it was sealed.

You see what I'm saying?

The rigidity would only be one way though, it would stop it tightening anymore. This is pointless as it would already be water tight.

Even if the shoulder of the fitting was wound all the way in it could still undwind and create a leak. The right amount of PTFE is more than adequate for this as long as the fitting isn't leveraged with copper tube in it during installation

Go experiment with your outside tap. You obviously want that pointing the right way but in 90% of cases the threads don't line up to have that all the way home and its plenty rigid enough that it doesn't leak even with years of abuse turning the tap on and off. Your shower valve won't have any abuse.

I use a similar method to Ben-Gee, straight irons and then soldered fittings as you have much more scope of alignment with the pipes.

1691926694609.jpeg

Last edited:

Reply to Bsp brass elbows going into brass mixer. Seating of the elbows? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock