Search the forum,

Discuss Building extension over kitchen gully trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shevek

We're building a near-full-width rear extension to our mid-terrace house, which will extend over the existing kitchen gully trap position. We're leaving the kitchen sink where it is, so we'll still need the drainage, but it's a kitchen island so no route to the external wall. See attached image, which shows *existing* underground drain positions.

We're are putting in a new slab in the kitchen area but even if we took the kitchen waste through the slab to the outside wall it would be too low to then drop into a gully trap because floor and ground level are much that same at that point.

Any thoughts on how best to drain the kitchen waste water? Just drop it into a sealed pipe and run straight to manhole? Stub stack and AAC perhaps?

plan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it that case get building control to advise you
Well when I say we're doing it self-build, I'm an architectural technician and the builder will be my father who is a builder of over 40 years experience (in NZ).

I was just hoping to get some ideas before submitting a building control application.

You need to know the rules and building control will advise you of this. It'll save you a lot of time and money in the future.

Not aimed at you, but the amount of self builds I've been to that are thrown up without knowledge of the building regs worries me.

True, but it's also my job to know the regs. I'm going to discuss with building control officer but I was hoping to get some ideas before submitting a proposal. Guess I could speak to officer before submitting.

yes treat them as a friend, they will give you less hassle if you do, find out any rules that will effect the build, this is there job, they will tell you whats needed before you even think of it. then when they come to check they will see that you have done what they told you to do and leave you alone

True, but it's also my job to know the regs. I'm going to discuss with building control officer but I was hoping to get some ideas before submitting a proposal. Guess I could speak to officer before submitting.

That's the best way. You have it from an authority then and not some dodgy plumbing forum ;)

Well when I say we're doing it self-build, I'm an architectural technician and the builder will be my father who is a builder of over 40 years experience (in NZ).

I was just hoping to get some ideas before submitting a building control application.

with your combined knowledge it shouldnt be an issue to know what to do, but talking to bc is my best advice, once they and planners approve your plans, they cant change their minds and that can be very useful when all the different bc officers keep turning up on site with their own opinions.

Talked to my BC man and he said it's fine to just bring the 100 mm drain up to floor level then reduce to 40 mm and run to sink. As someone on another forum said, just make sure you use a nice deep trap and make sure manhole is vented by a stack pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building extension over kitchen gully trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock