Discuss building regulations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

june

Hi,

I am a flat owner and am trying to make head and tail of the building regulations in relation to central heating but am struggling badly. I would really appreciate any help.

Our building is heated by communal central heating which was installed in 1984. There is no thermostat or other control on the amount of gas burned and my flat has no thermostatic controls on radiators. All flat owners pay a share of the gas bill and I have proposed that the Landlord fits some sort of control to keep bills down but he will not even though the cost of doing so would be shared by the flat owners.

Is there any way I can put pressure on him to reduce bills? My own investigation suggests that the regulations relating to conservation of fuel and power may help but that this does not apply to 'old systems' unless there have been significant alterations. There have been a few alterations but I don't know whether they were enough to trigger any action or whether the regulations were in force at the time. The following are the changes that have occurred:

1. flat owners used to be allowed access to the boiler and would vary the timer depending on conditions. Some time (within a year I'd guess) after November 2005 access to the timer was denied and heating was provided for about 8 hours per day from October to the end of April.
2. Some time between November 2005 and October 2006 the landlord removed the communal radiators from a flat he owned.
3. Shortly after September 2007 another flat, with the permission of the Landlord, removed the communal radiators from their flat.
4. In October 2009 the old Glowworm 82/100B was replaced with a Glowworm Flexicom 24HX

I think if 2 & 3 happened now it would mean that the Landlord had to improve efficiency but were the regulations in force at the time?

Any help appreciated.

It's all well and good having these so called energy efficiency regs, but if the cust won't pay for them, what you going to do. Turn it down and let somebody else take the work?

Basically you would want each flat to be a zone, with a motorised valve and room stat. Probably expensive, difficult to say without seeing, and something I can't see your landlord instigating.

If you fitted trv's off your own back, then you would have better temp control in your flat and would possibly reduce the amount of gas used to heat your flat, but you would probably still have to pay the same share of the gas bill, so no point.

If you fitted trv's off your own back, then you would have better temp control in your flat and would possibly reduce the amount of gas used to heat your flat, but you would probably still have to pay the same share of the gas bill, so no point.

It's whether we would use less gas that interests me. Flat owners may be happy to pay for the valves to be fitted but would probably not want to replace the boiler. Do all boilers check the temperature of the returning water and use less gas or is it just optimising boilers? How about the Glowworm Flexicom 24HX Boiler?

It's whether we would use less gas that interests me. Flat owners may be happy to pay for the valves to be fitted but would probably not want to replace the boiler. Do all boilers check the temperature of the returning water and use less gas or is it just optimising boilers? How about the Glowworm Flexicom 24HX Boiler?
Condensing boilers do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to building regulations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock