Search the forum,

Discuss But You Said You Could Start Tomorrow. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Priced a bathroom up about 6 weeks ago, they already had everything bought, which I inspected whilst there. Sent an e-mail with the price and also stated that I could go ahead on the 13th October.

Heard nothing, until about 5 minutes ago.

'Price is fine, still ok to start tomorrow?'

No, earliest now is first week in November.

'But you said you could start tomorrow!'

That was quite a few weeks ago and unfortunately I haven't been in hibernation since I sent the estimate.

'Oh well that will have to do'

Absolutely love it. Had quite a few recently who have sat on the estimate for a month or two before giving me the nod and then expect an immediate start.

Getting close to the 'Got To Be Done Before Christmas' kicks in :)

Love it, had some one try to renegotiate a price as I was just about to drain down! See ya!!

Isnt it great.
I had a days work at some house. This that and the other.
Gave a quote based on whole days work.
Then he came back cherry picking.
I said the quote was for everything or nothing.
He said but I'll get you back for the other bits another time.
Told him to shove the lot

Isnt it great.

Hee Haw, Hee Haw. I like my carrots whole thank you !

Isnt it great.

I've had that before. Half a dozen little jobs, gave a days labour plus materials. Oh but I want a price for each job. Yea, right, no thanks.

Had exactly the same thing Simon, but with a full heating install earlier in the year, They never confirmed when I sent them a start date..

They ring me on the unconfirmed date.. :|

Love it, had some one try to renegotiate a price as I was just about to drain down! See ya!!

Once had a private customer tell me that they didn`t quite have all the cash as agreed, No problem I wont do all the job today then was my reply. Funny how they found the remaining ÂŁ50 pretty quickly.

Ive had a few tell me that I shouldn't of said I can start on such a date when quoting but then not be available when they come back 3-5 weeks later

I just tell them that unfortunately when they didn't confirm the booking, lots of other people have booked me in and they have lost their time slot.

Just had a customer or should I say timewaster, cancel a months work. Supposed to start in less than two weeks. Two of us now have to find work for November now.
Second time he's cancelled. Reckons 'my brothers mate can now do the work'. 'Sorry Tom' 'We both feel really bad'
All in an email of course, he didn't have the gumption to give me a call

My own fault. After 4/5 quotations, 3 site visits inc bathroom shop, a ridiculous amount of emails answering every question under the sun, going out of my way to advise on how to go bout getting the best prices - spent a silly amount of time with him, you would have thought I'd have enough intelligence to work out the man was taking the urine. Obviously not.
Im not bitter though....

Just had a customer or should I say timewaster, cancel a months work. Supposed to start in less than two weeks. Two of us now have to find work for November now.
Second time he's cancelled. Reckons 'my brothers mate can now do the work'. 'Sorry Tom' 'We both feel really bad'
All in an email of course, he didn't have the gumption to give me a call

My own fault. After 4/5 quotations, 3 site visits inc bathroom shop, a ridiculous amount of emails answering every question under the sun, going out of my way to advise on how to go bout getting the best prices - spent a silly amount of time with him, you would have thought I'd have enough intelligence to work out the man was taking the urine. Obviously not.
Im not bitter though....

Sorry to hear that tom-plumb what a complete crank! But then hopefully your brothers mate will mash it right up and waste loads of money, he obviously wasn't trusted in the first place to make any serious decisions!

On my estimates it clearly says that I can give a rough date for starting but nothing is confirmed until a deposit has been received.

As M82 suggests. I offer a written quotation, and explain that a date can arranged / confirmed upon receipt of deposit. I really don't understand not taking deposits. The actual amount is largely irrwlevant, it just concentrates the punters mind a little.
Possibly, in PT's scenario, the punter may not neccessarily have wanted the "brothers mate" to do the work, but sometimes it is difficult to turn down a "kind offer". If a deposit had been in place he would probably have declined the offer on the grounds that he is committed and paid a deposit. If you see what I mean.

In my experience, whatever you buy or sell, or have someone do - someone will else will say they know someone who would have charged less, paid more or done it better.

Possibly, in PT's scenario, the punter may not neccessarily have wanted the "brothers mate" to do the work, but sometimes it is difficult to turn down a "kind offer". If a deposit had been in place he would probably have declined the offer on the grounds that he is committed and paid a deposit.

Good psychology.

In my experience, whatever you buy or sell, or have someone do - someone will else will say they know someone who would have charged less, paid more or done it better.

Yep. Very true.

Totally agree,

Applies to everything you buy as well

I love it when the guy at the pub knows someone who could have done it cheaper and hasn't even seen the job!

Ive only got myself to blame. Id normally say that they don't understand the amount of hassle they cause but in this case the bloke obviously does as he cant bring himself to call me.
A deposit will now be asked for to book work in

Last edited:
Just make sure when his brothers mate can't do something and they ring to ask you, that you are really sorry but you can't talk at the moment and probably won't be able to help. Goodbye.

Im with stani.
I did a similar thing the other week but only with a simple service. The guy they got after asking for a quote from me didnt turn up. They called me - i was doing my hair.
I couldnt give a flying crap if i miss out. Past caring

Just make sure when his brothers mate can't do something and they ring to ask you, that you are really sorry but you can't talk at the moment and probably won't be able to help. Goodbye.

I had funny one few weeks ago ,

Priced up heat pack quickly realised they wanted something for nothing however they would not take no for an answer.Badgered and harassed to do the work countless calls and emails then i decided to say look can't do it for this n that reason .They asked could i get another then harassed and badgered me for another soooo passed them a friends number to do the job.

He took it on wished he never bothered , however once he finished i then got endless calls about how the controls worked from them .

Asked my mate why are they not calling him he said emails and their number was immediately blocked upon completion lol.

however once he finished i then got endless calls about how the controls worked from them .

Asked my mate why are they not calling him he said emails and their number was immediately blocked upon completion lol.

lol. Have 10 DNA`s on the mobile
Do Not Answer 1- 10

That sounds abit too diplomatic for me stani. I was fuming last night.
I wont be speaking to the man again
Ive not even bothered replying to his email. Hopefully his brothers mate doesn't turn up - karma

if people cancel a job at the last minute, they receive a bill for my time to date and I expect payment, I havent yet not got it either. The way I see it is that if they waste my time they can pay for the privilege, I write a polite letter of explanation and let them know the whys and wherefores. I then deliver it by hand :)

That sounds abit too diplomatic for me stani. I was fuming last night.
I wont be speaking to the man again
Ive not even bothered replying to his email. Hopefully his brothers mate doesn't turn up - karma

Your right, I'd probably tell him to f*** o** and then put the phone down with a smug warm feeling of contentment.

if people cancel a job at the last minute, they receive a bill for my time to date and I expect payment, I havent yet not got it either. The way I see it is that if they waste my time they can pay for the privilege, I write a polite letter of explanation and let them know the whys and wherefores. I then deliver it by hand :)

How does that work?! Unless you've told them before hand
I don't want anything to do with him, ive wasted enough time. Lesson learned

Your right, I'd probably tell him to f*** o** and then put the phone down with a smug warm feeling of contentment.

Wouldn`t do that if your on checkatrader if I was you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to But You Said You Could Start Tomorrow. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock