Discuss Buying a boiler - Who to go with? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

minatoflash

Hi all, my boiler is on it's way out so i'm looking into getting a new one but for the life of me i just can't decide who best to go with so i came here to hopefully seek some advice.

So far i've had a couple of quotes from local plumbers for 2.2k and 1.8k to supply and fit a Logic Plus and i've a couple more to also seek a quote from.

I've had a quote from Help-Link for a worcester bosch for 2k which seemed great at the time of the assessment but their online reputation does not seem very good at all.

Finally i entertained a British Gas Salesman who seemed a nice guy and at first he quoted me 2.8k for a worcester and then when i showed him the Help-Link quote he did a 2nd quote of 2k for a Potterton Promax 28+

My thoughts are that going local could potentially save me some money and the logic plus seems a big improvement from older Ideal logic boilers however i feel the bigger companies provide better peace of mind with their guarantee schemes who both offer a 10 year guarantee with Help-Link claiming i only need pay a service fee each year to keep that guarantee in place while British Gas insist on using their Home care plan and so long as i'm on that i won't have to pay anything else.

What i'd really like is a good brand at a decent price with a guarantee that i won't have to pay anything else for many years to come, i feel the British Gas option comes closest to what i'm after but i'm wondering if the Potterton boiler is any good or not? All the choices so far seem to have various pros and cons so i'm wondering who would be the best one to go with?

A lot of boiler manufactures offer a 10 year warranty anyway even if a local firm did it, it's not exclusive to the big companies. Also it will be cheaper from a smaller outfit Ie install cost. Word of mouth from friends and neighbors or somebody on here is usually a decent call.

1.8k for the logic plus
Check out his gas safe, get a referral from one of his previous customers.

if that goes well, get him to fit it.
I prefer vsillants, but the logic + is a good boiler.

Welcome to the forum miniflash. Your post is so long I've not read all of them it? From the little I have read, I'll say go with BG for the Potterton ProMax 28+. I'm not sure how you managed to get a quote of just 2k of them? Chances are they'll try to sell you something else, say breakdown cover which you don't need etc.

Also everybody has there own preference regarding boilers so the one with the longest manufacturers warranty is probably best.

Beware BG don't charge an extra ÂŁ1500.00 for alteration to pipework.

As above, I fit Baxi's and have very little to complain about, 10 year warranty available and very reliable, a little noisy and plain to look at. But proving to be a good boiler

In my opinion get a local chap to do the install as they care about keeping customers happy and will go the extra yard in comparison to BG and help link.

The ideal is a good boiler so I would install that as it seems you have your heart set on it

Ideal vogue are better than the logics..

Second that, but they are slightly more expensive but better in every way,

Ryanmuz01, i wouldn't say i've got my heart set on a logic plus i've just heard their a decent boiler :) Just learning as much as i can and trying to take it all in at the moment!

Village Idiot, yes i was definitely surprised when he quoted me 2k all in as i'd read that bg quotes can be ridiculous but he was also keen to stress that the quote is guaranteed so if say they needed to fit extra piping or what have you then the price will remain at 2k with no extras and he didn't try sell me anything else.
So far nobody has said much negative about the Potterton Promax so this is definitely an option that appeals to me.

The other thing about going with bg is that i've gotten the impression their not too bad should i need a call out so hopefully if i have a problem it'll be sorted in reasonable time however if i go for a local install then where do i go if there is a problem? If i contact the fitter then i presume they'll be a fee involved as it's not the local plumber who's providing the guarantee so i take it i would have to go direct to the boiler manufacturer since that's where the warranty resides and then i'm at the mercy of that particular companies customer service, if i went with Logic Plus for example then am i going to get a decent call out experience vs british gas home care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying a boiler - Who to go with? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock