Discuss Buying first van nowadays in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok so looking at getting my first van in 6-12 months (possibly sooner and regardless of if i go self employed) Clearly keeping costs down is important when getting started in business but that doesn't mean i'm going to buy an old banger just needs to be respectable looking and reliable enough to get me to jobs lol. Would be crazy to splash out on a brand spanking new van just for there to be no work and leave myself with no dosh to fall back on. Just wondering if you guys were starting out today what would you be looking at spending on your first van? For the sake of the thread lets say i have everything else i need to get started.

I'm thinking between 2-3k. Sorry if this a boring pointless post just trying to get a head start on everything and get myself organised.
Thanks

I bought my first van for 3k. I shopped around a bit and eventually found a good deal. My van is a 56 reg but it has a fair few miles on it hence the price. Most of the vans I looked atwhere alot more expensive.

Finding a good small van was hard but I got there in the end and within my budget

Most, if not all, of us have been here.

I bought a 53 plate 60,000 first van (Transit Connect) and after a couple of years bought a Transit 07 on 60,000 miles. Thought this would last me till retirement but I reckon I'll be looking again within 3 years (knowing my motoring history).

If you look on vans in exactly the same way as cars (depreciation first, other costs second) you won't be too far out.

Accountants might suggest leasing, bankers might suggest loan, dealers might suggest hire purchase but at the end of the day if you own your office outright it is probably more economical in the long term.

Most, if not all, of us have been here.

I bought a 53 plate 60,000 first van (Transit Connect) and after a couple of years bought a Transit 07 on 60,000 miles. Thought this would last me till retirement but I reckon I'll be looking again within 3 years (knowing my motoring history).

If you look on vans in exactly the same way as cars (depreciation first, other costs second) you won't be too far out.

Accountants might suggest leasing, bankers might suggest loan, dealers might suggest hire purchase but at the end of the day if you own your office outright it is probably more economical in the long term.

Thanks for the fast replies guy. I'll more than likely make £2500 my minimum. I wouldn't consider leasing/loaning etc as you say more economical in the long run to own outright and peace of mind too as it's one less regular outgoing to worry about. Decent amount of service history and not massive mileage will seal the deal for me although beggars cant be choosers so will shop around :)

well your budget is realistic so you should get something decent but be warned look carefully at what you buy i just changed my van bought it off a dealer cylinder head failed 2 weeks later he payed for it but the inconvenience was immense,i thought i knew a lot about cars i was getting a engine under pressure when cold and slight streaking on the header tank,the van drove normal and did not overheat,now its fixed cost the dealer 1200 quid to sort out,when you buy off a car dealer you have more protection in law than a private or auction sale

First van was Toyota HiAce, £1200 from e-bay, high miles no history but a cracking runner only had issues with contacts in starter motor, apparently a common fault. After driving it into the ground traded in for Citreon Dispatch on a 51 £1800, high miles, slow, but always got me there. Next came a leased Transit Connect, £150 a month and all I had to do was put diesel in and insurance. When they tried to put it up to £212 this time last year I bought another. Fiat Doblo Cargo 1.9 on a 07 plate £3490, high miles but service history and recent timing belt. Just the right size, splashed out on truck rax roof bars and pipe rack. Little bit thirsty, but i have a very heavy right foot:)

I would say go for good service history and don't be afraid of something thats got a good few miles on. If it's been serviced regular then the miles shouldn't be an issue.

payed £4500 from auction for my 56 reg mk7 transit, 88,000 miles. Spent £1k to get it to pass its MOT, will need to spend another £200 for EGR Valve but Im just going to unplug it for now. Expensive lesson learned though lol

to be fair buying it from a dealer would of been dearer even without VAT ontop but it would of been much less hassle

Last edited:
first van transit 4.4k for 04 plate about 3 years ago ! sold 1 year later back for 4k put 1k on top for 58 plate VW transpoorter which had 13k miles now year 2 and has 27k miles on ! love it all I do is put diesel and drive , might need new break pads next year and keep topping up the oil he drinks more oil then i beer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Buying first van nowadays in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock