Currently reading:
Called time on one of the lads plumbing careers today.

Discuss Called time on one of the lads plumbing careers today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
:(

So, the lad I've got through his NVQ 2 and has had his own van for a year or so now. Got back from my electrical assessment today and walked into the bathroom I had left him on. He's just finished adjusting radiator pipework for first fix. Pipes coming out of the wall are in chromed copper as asked for. I noticed 2x push fit speedfit fittings on the end. Quick question asked by me - is that push fit fittings I see on chromed copper? Yes, he replies, oblivious to the issue despite having been told before about it and us always fitting compression fittings at first fix on every bathroom we've done together. Get them off now and swap them for compression fittings before the ice plugs melt in the pipework and you flood the bathroom I say. Yes, run down to the van please.

There's been a fair few issues recently, he left open ends on heating system pipework on a system we were doing and screwed the floorboards back down without telling anyone they were open. We went to pressurise the system and water ****ed out.

Not tightening up lockshield/TRV/compression nuts in general properly/at all resulting in water ****ing out everywhere.

Sat down and had a chat with him afterwards when my other lad was out the way and have politely suggested that plumbing isn't for him. There's been a few issues recently again and if he hasn't grasped basics like this after 2 years it isn't likely to happen. He just doesn't have the organisational skills or attention to detail to ever make a good plumber. I've offered to give him another chance if he wants to stay with us and get him back to college to do an electrical apprenticeship. Organisation isn't so important for that as there's much less stock and tools to carry and he would be working from a much smaller van. Attention to detail, whilst important, isn't as important as most of it isn't on show unlike plumbing. He's also got a fair amount of previous electrical experience.

I like the lad but his ability to think worries me silly. If I had got there 10 minutes later it's rather likely the contents of the sealed heating system would be pouring out over the first floor.

I don't feel I'm being too harsh but it's tricky being the boss and not having anyone to chat to about these things!

Last edited:
Ha ha the list continues hope we're not talking croft out of his decision

Ask yourself would you do anything differently if the lad was your own son?

Don't think I would tbh. Met up with him for a informal chat today and he seems to agree about retraining as an electrician. Am going to give him one last stab at making a tradesman of himself.

Is he getting stoned every night, or staying up late watching TV? Maybe he just doesn't enjoy going to work or doesn't feel valued? Sometimes people need to change their personal life's to be better for work. Worth asking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Called time on one of the lads plumbing careers today. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back