Search the forum,

Discuss Can Anyone Recommend a RELIABLE VAN? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi all!

I'm looking for a reliable van to through my ever expanding tool kit into. Can any one recommend a good model? Size wise I'm looking for something about the size of a VW paddy (postman van). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mike :)

I have a 2007 Fiat Doblo 1.9. Had it 4 years and all its cost me is wishbones, tyres and front wheel bearings. But it does have 123,000 on the clock.

Caddy here !!! , ready for a new van and will probably be another Caddy or maybe the new connect

Check passenger side electric window on a Caddy for any sign of looseness as it raises as it`s a known fault.

My company van is a doblo, don't buy one even if its free. Went with a mate to look at a new transit the other day. I looked at the connect, its w proper nice but of kit

Had a Doblo around 2003 I think (one of the early ones) great van but others I know of ate headgasket, gearbox, clutch and water pump below 60,000m, but the JLD version or whatever it was could wheelspin through the first 3 gears on a dry road and give many a car GTi cardriver a scare so great fun.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for all the tips guys!

I've been searching around and there looks to be some good deals on the Ford Connect's. Anyone out there had any experience with one?

Cheers
Mike :)

Yes. Ok vans we had one. Blower for heaters went, power steering pump. Other than that nice van. Ours was 55 plate and went in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most vans are fairly reliable if looked after, my van has full service history & I plan to do service every 10 - 12k with proper oil. Filters! ... Similar to boilers I guess, look after them and they don't give much hassle

I've had a Citroen Dispatch Hdi for 10 years and 220k miles, just wear an tare + ball joints. need to change soon, compact but 3 seats? I also need 10th post:vanish:

I have a caddy maxi on a 10 plate... So far it has had 1 x Gearbox (destroyed itself when reversing up a hill), Dual Mass Flywheel & Clutch (flywheel failed and took out the clutch), 1 x section of wiring loom to the rear lights, 1 x Front brake caliper.
Luckily this was all under warranty, otherwise it might have been parked through the VW dealership's window.

*Edit* Not to forget it eats light bulbs almost every other week.

Even VW are surprised at the amount that has gone wrong with it. Plus it handles like a barge and is unstable in the slightest crosswind with the roof rack and tube on top.

Due for a new van this year, will it be a new Caddy? No...
Will it be another VW? Probably not...

Might be tempted by a LWB Transit Custom though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a golf gttdi 130 6 speed once, the amount of spending I did on it I would keep clear of vw, I now have a 06 ford connect and a 10 plate for connect lwb (work van), both fantastic vans! I ad a swb medium top transit 56 plate before the work connect, brilliant van! ad good on fuel!!!

Citroen nemo for me 50 plus miles to the gallon, nippy, and reliable hasent put a foot wrong in 113,000 miles, another one towards my 10.:smilewinkgrin:

We have nv200 just do ch so easy enough space unless u need. To fit in a box of armour cell 2m lagging or a 6* 2000 DPX

How you get any gear in it?

well most of my workload is breakdown and service work,so its plenty big enough for me, but you can get a boiler in the back when needed, new baths need delivering :smile5:. what i like most is its easy to park anywhere, its true though its not for everybody.

medium wheelbase transit i can keep my pipe inside get 8x4 sheets and virtually a whole heating system inside and other cars move over when you're heading towards them.

Got to be a Transit all day long. How many old batterd white transits with one red door covered in rust and dents do you see driving about?

Answer: Loads!

That's because they just go on, and on...

Beware of Caddy van's built 06-10, the 102bhp TDi engines in them (BLS engine code) are very prone to going pop. VW claim there are no issue's with them but Google 'BLS engine' and you'll find differing opinions.
A friend's van just had the conrod escape out through the block, engine destroyed, he'd owned the van from brand new, serviced religiously every 10,000 miles at main agents and only ever driven by himself, was used as private transport never carried any weight, 83,000 miles and game over lol.
Nice van when they are running though!!

Toyota hiace, ask any breakdown man & they will tell you that they hardly have to deal with these

Mercedes Vito is also a nice choice.. But transits are always good vans had a few and never had much trouble with them this includes a old mk6 with 200k+ keep them well serviced and you can't go far wrong just keep a look out for rust on sills side foot steps chassis and rear leaf spring mounting points.

Vitos are a pile'o'sh1te :)
Teabags the lot of em.

The only van where the payload goes up by 150kg as the van gets older lol

Got to be a Transit all day long. How many old batterd white transits with one red door covered in rust and dents do you see driving about?

Answer: Loads!

That's because they just go on, and on...

Thats because they rust like f**k and the red door is all that's left of the original van:yesnod:

I'm on my 4th renault trafic now over the last 12 yrs. never had to change anything only tyres and usual service bits. Did about 75k on each then past them on, bought from new.
every1 had their favourites.
Had a transit from new, had terrible probs.
also had a couple of hiaces which were bulletproof too, but that was yrs ago. It was when they had no bulkhead. A lad I worked with nearly got mashed by his own tools in a crash.
Got a trafic with a bulkhead after that. I find them really comfy to drive.

Keep em 3 yrs then shift them. Move em on b4 probs. don't need d hassle of a van off d road with bother. As soon as warranty up I get rid. Latest 1 I bought as a demo 3 months old 3k on d clock €4.000 off. 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can Anyone Recommend a RELIABLE VAN? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock