Search the forum,

Discuss Can I box a back boiler/gas fire into a cupboard? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I've had a google around but haven't found anything that suits my situation.

I have an old back boiler (complete with a typical lovely eyesore 80's gas fire) in the chimney breast in my kitchen that used to be a dining room. The gas fire part of it is never used. Obviously it's massively in the way now that the space is used as a kitchen. I currently have a kitchen island on wheels pushed up in front of the fire but I'm wanting more cupboard and worktop space. I can't seem to find any guidance on what kind of clearance is required around such a boiler/fire if I wanted to box it into a cabinet, or if the idea is a complete no go.

Any ideas?

Is this still being used ? if so I think that If you have a new kitchen it would be a good idea to call in a GS guy and get this checked out , These need a certain amount of air to work correctly and other factors that must be taken into account for your safety !.

The gas fire part isn't in use and hasn't been for about 15 years plus. The back boiler however works perfectly fine and controls heating/water so we're going on the basis of if it ain't broke don't fix it. We're not getting an entire new kitchen either - if we did then I'd rip it out. I'm more just wanting to try to utilise my space better.

it aint broke dont fix it I agree with, but boxing it in will break it and then will need fixing

Right thank you, looks like I'm not getting more cupboard space then! What about if a length of worktop went over it (not touching the top of the fire). Obviously it would then still be open all around except above.

You could do what ever you like, but safety may be compromised as manufacturers clearances may stipulate dimensions that you could alter. I personally would take no risk with an open flued appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I box a back boiler/gas fire into a cupboard? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock