Search the forum,

Discuss Capping gas appliances? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys. When capping off an existing appliance such as a hob or oven. If the pipe work is concealed by the units do you normally cap of with compression or ef? Do you normally try to trace pipe back to tee to avoid long dead legs on the gas carcass? Purge points are being mentioned to me but if the pipe is concealed behind units surely you don’t use compression. Advice would help me out, thank you.

hi guys. When capping off an existing appliance such as a hob or oven. If the pipe work is concealed by the units do you normally cap of with compression or ef? Do you normally try to trace pipe back to tee to avoid long dead legs on the gas carcass? Purge points are being mentioned to me but if the pipe is concealed behind units surely you don’t use compression. Advice would help me out, thank you.

I tend to give the customer choice regarding location of cutting and capping describing benefits of each (e.g. if capped further down then they can remove whole pipe- since it often seems to be done when they are about to have new kitchen fitted so less holes to cut into back it kitchen units).

And relation to compression that completely depends on installation going in front of it.

Solder is best if possible but if it's easily accessible afterwards (whether through a hole in back of cupboard or removable oven etc) then compression is fine as far as I'm aware.

Also gotta consider if the pipework is exposed further down the line then theirs the possibility of it being disturbed thus causing the compression fitting to leak, in which case 100% solder cap.

If it is accessible then you can use compression.
End feed is good.
Iron plugs are good.
It all depends on what you are doing.
I wouldn't worry too much about dead legs on domestic gas. If there is a chance that someone may re-install another gas appliance in the same place in the future, then I would leave it where it is.

Compression in this context is DIY, IMO. If there is zero chance of point being used, then I am sure it is written somewhere that it should be cut back. But I would only bother of it was convenient, and it all adds to the Beer Scrap ;)

But who on earth mentioned Purge points?

Compression in this context is DIY, IMO. If there is zero chance of point being used, then I am sure it is written somewhere that it should be cut back. But I would only bother of it was convenient, and it all adds to the Beer Scrap ;)

But who on earth mentioned Purge points?

think hes got confused with commercial

I was by in about commercial for purging fellas. Apparently my boss thinks if there’s a dead leg it should be able to be purged?? God knows

I was by in about commercial for purging fellas. Apparently my boss thinks if there’s a dead leg it should be able to be purged?? God knows

yes commercially yes you need to put a valve and a purge point before you cap so it can be purged back to gas once the works been done and also if they want something connecting you can purge later on

Reply to Capping gas appliances? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock