Search the forum,

Discuss Career change or not in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I've been looking at a career change into becoming a gas engineer. I have no previous experience and was looking into going to a training school on a weekend. has anyone been to one of these and successfully gained employment afterwards?
I've spoken to a few companies who aren't keen on this as a way in to the business and all suggest apprenticeships. But at 43 and bills to pay this is not possible and I'd just like to know what other options there could possibly be.

Thanks

What is it about a Gas Engineer's job that makes you want to be one?

And do you have any previous plumbing or mechanical or electrical experience or knowledge?

Absolutely no experience apart the basic home requirements. Reading on these training courses they make it sound like you can be competent in several months.

As for the job I like there are multiple domestic and commercial opportunities, everyday being different and getting a role where there is room for progression, learning and having transferable skills.

The main obstacle to getting into gas engineering is building a portfolio. Once you have finished the basic training, you need to get a Gas Safe registered engineer to supervise you through various real world processes, such as installing, repairing and decommissioning gas boilers, and the same for cookers and gas fires. The difficulty is finding someone who is prepared to do that for you.

The main obstacle to getting into gas engineering is building a portfolio. Once you have finished the basic training, you need to get a Gas Safe registered engineer to supervise you through various real world processes, such as installing, repairing and decommissioning gas boilers, and the same for cookers and gas fires. The difficulty is finding someone who is prepared to do that for you.

The course I've found gets you a work experience placement to get the portfolio together. But its £6995 !

Reply to Career change or not in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock