Search the forum,

Discuss Centarl heating is now on but less hot water for Baths & Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Langers

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm after a bit of advice even if the below does sound like a silly question. :)

I have conventional boiler system,hot water tank in airing cupboard and cold tanks in loft etc (Glow Worm boiler which is about 13 years old) and i've recently had to put the CH on.Now when i run a bath or a shower their isn't the same amount of hot water that i had when the CH was off. I usually start to heat the hot water up at 4pm for 2 - 2.5 hours via a timer and when the family arrive home the heating goes on at about 5pm. Once the kids have had a bath (6.30), the hot water for a shower is tepid (8pm), whereby in the summer (central heating off) there is plenty of hot water for baths and showers.

Could it be boiler capacity? (not too sure of how powerful it is) Or something else. The central heating comes on fine and the house is nice and warm but its the amount of hot water for baths & shwoers is the concern.

Any questions or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Langers

Hello, thanks for the reply - I have a Gravity system (Tanks in Loft) but a pump attached for the bath and shower (next to hot water tank)

Gravity hot water will be slow when heating is on, pump pulling heated water away from tank, better to keep hot water on permanent now you are using heating, or get system converted to fully pumped, have you just moved into this house ?

Yes, recently moved in. Even though the hot water tank is on same level as bathroom (2nd floor, not in loft) will this make a difference?

If i keep hot water on permanently, won't that send my gas bill through the roof?

Thanks again for the reply.

Langers

Last edited by a moderator:
cylinder position doesnt matter the pressure of your water is dependent on the height of the feed tank you may find you need to run the boiler at a higher temperature in winter and with gravity it will need to be on longer best to get the water on for 1 hour before the heating kicks in just realise tank is level with bathroom so low pressure and no standing showers
assuming its a one bathroom house the obvious upgrade would be a combination boiler

Last edited:
Boiler temperature should be about 80C. I expect when the heating pump is running it's reducing flow through the cylinder but in most of those old systems they usually had an injector tee on the return so the pump would draw water through the cylinder and improve the warmup time. Perhaps it's been taken out or changed.
Best bet is to convert to fully pumped system.

Where is boiler ? on floor or wall, you can bet as its a gravity system boiler is more than 13 years old, most cost effective method to up-grade your system & speed up hot water heat up times is to get it converted to fully pumped, will need some alterations to pipe work and some new controls, depending on access to pipe work 1 or 2 days should do it, being has you have just moved in, money may not be there for full boiler/system upgrade, but converting to fully pumped will make system more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Centarl heating is now on but less hot water for Baths & Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
G
Purchased property, all electric heating has combination cylinder doing hot water for 1 bathroom only , updating bathroom to have a shower, bath a basin and kitchen sink that needs hot water with no gas main or boiler , what’s the cheapest system to install to heat this property’s water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock