Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction, one of my central heating pipes (think its the length from the boiler to the first radiator) is vibrating when the boiler switches off. I recently had new radiators fitted and the vibration stopped for about a month but seems to be back now, the pipe vibrated before this. I've tried the basics (bleeding the radiator and making sure the TRV was on the right way), wonder if anyone else has any other ideas? I dont think the pipe is vibrating against a joist as the vibration only seems to occur when the boiler switches off,
Thanks

What's the pump doing while the 'vibration' is happening? Can you describe the 'vibration' in a bit more detail, please? E.g. is it humming like a fridge, knocking a few times a second, slowing down over a period of time, etc. Spare no details. If you are able to make and post an audio recording that would help too.

The vibration seems to only happen when the boiler is in the process of switching off with the pump shutting down, it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler, I'll try and get an audio recording cheers

it's generally a series of rapid ticking noises which slows down until it stops. It's coming from the ceiling space approximately 4m away from the boiler,
That's the noise of a contracting length of pipe dragging over something. (It's called "slip-stick".)

Usual cure is to wrap the pipe with some hemp lagging at points it needs to slide.

Reply to Central Heating pipe vibrating when boiler stops in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock