Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating pump pump problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

j4ffa

Right last night every time we put the central heating on the rcd would trip which meant no heating yay anyway today i have been round and checked everything i could to see if i could find the problem and looks like i have as in the water pump that's upstairs in the airing cupboard as i fitted a plug to the wiring then plugged it in and it blew the sockets rcd so yay found the problem. I opened up the side panel on the pump and could smell a burning smell so quick google search and it said could be the capacitor and im trying to find out if i managed to get another capacitor and fitted would it work and not trip anything out or would i need to replace the pump id rather replace the capacitor as thats cheaper.

The pump is a grundfos selectric 988123 ups 15-50

A local scrap yard will have lots of replacement pump heads where you could try a replacement capacitor, just check its like for like & not damaged like yours.

Depending in the age of the pump it might be worth fitting a new pump head anyway.

Just rang a few companies and one said Ā£77 +vat for the head would that be a decent price to say you could get a complete pump for that or would it be better as easier to install

Replacement capacitors have to be within 10% so you can`t for example remove a 6uf cap and fit a 18uf.
Signs of a blown cap are normally top or bottom blown out or the side is split open but even a slight bulge in the side wall is an indication. As above depending on age a new pump might be the best option.

There is a crack in it and its a browny yellow colour i just wasnt sure if you could get the capacitor or would be better getting new pump/head i know abit about plumbing but thats about it

There is a crack in it and its a browny yellow colour i just wasnt sure if you could get the capacitor or would be better getting new pump/head i know abit about plumbing but thats about it

Thats where the oil has been exposed j4ffa, could try a cheap capacitor first as long as it`s the same uf but if that blows or fails then new pump/head is your only option.

Well changed pump head wasnt that bad to change expect when i forgot to turn one of the valves off so had a nice shower whooops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating pump pump problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock