Discuss Change of flow direction OK? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paulioliolio

Hi all

I'm about to have a replacement boiler fitted and the one I'm going with has the flow & return pipes on opposite sides to the old one.

The old one was for a gravity fed system, with 8 radiators all fed from lower left & right, none of which currently have TRVs on. The new boiler's a combi.

My question is, does it matter if the flow in the new set up is opposite to what it was?

Many thanks.

yes it matters but your gas safe engy who is fitting the boiler should know this, if not i would be worried

or are you on about position of the old connections to the boiler?

yes it matters but your gas safe engy who is fitting the boiler should know this, if not i would be worried

or are you on about position of the old connections to the boiler?

What!!!

took the title as flow and return reverse connection as it matters which way the flow and return is connected,

but then had a second thought if he meant where the flow and return were located on the old boiler vs the new boiler

sorry for any confusion

Yes bud it does matter alot of boiler manufactures do spacers now so you can run pipework behind the boiler so its less visable but certainly dont cross flow and returns

Why would it matter. No trvs or motorised valves.

as it will have these (needs to be brought upto current regs also building regs)

Edited (Combi System)

Last edited:
Combi boiler being fitted and most trvs are bi directional now anyway.

any rads with a pipe / connection at the top of the rad?

any rads with a pipe / connection at the top of the rad?
Nope.

Thanks for all the answers folks.

The only reason I do know which is which is that after scraping through the rust down to shiny metal around the heating connections on the old boiler I could definitely see an F in front of one of them. If you squint a lot & use your imagination you can sort of see an R in front of the other one.

No non return valves, all pipes at bottom of rads. When tanks & pump are removed it'll essentially be just two pipes with rads piped across them.
Very basic valves on rads at the moment - Looking at them there's no way to tell which way the flow goes at the moment.
I can't see that it'd matter which way the water flows through them, but thought it'd be better to ask just in case.

The heating pipes come down through the ceiling above where the boiler sits.
The one that was connected to 'F' on the old boiler is on the right. On the new boiler 'F' is on the left.
I could swap them around by lifting a bit of floor above, but I'd like to save cutting a trap in the floor & doing a load of work if there's no need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Change of flow direction OK? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock