Search the forum,

Discuss Changing unvented cylinder immersion element in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I"ve got my G3 unvented.
Customer wants an immersion element changing. Access is limited - once I get into the cupboard, and I do my electrical tests it hopefully might just be the stat that needs swapping.
However, if it is the element... words of advice and tips would be appreciated. It looks straightforward enough to change. But will it be tricky in reality? Tight to unscrew? Difficult to seal? Etc.
Advice from those who have been before me would be great.
Thanks everyone,
Jennie

IMG_1594.JPG

I don’t think you will get the element out without rotating the tank.

My experience on long horizontal elements is that they are easy to get out, but hard to align on the threads when reinserting

They are easier than traditional ones in my opinion, they are often sealed with a thick o-ring rather than a fibre washer.

So only do up hand tight plus a nip with an immersion spanner , rather than a five foot scaffold pole on a copper cylinder!

Equally this usually means they are easy to undo...

I think you’ll get that out, the element is a bit thinner than the traditional ones and a bit easier to get out at an angle if you have to.

Looks like from the part number it's one of these.
As Ben-gee, it's sealed with an O ring so should come out fairly easilly.

More often than not tho', it's the Cotherm plug in stat that's failed.

UNVENT element 14.PNG

As Scott says the drain off can be your biggest problem, that it why I always undo the hot water outlet and syphon the cylinder out with a trusty hosepipe - much quicker. Either run it to outside or the nearest lavatory.
Also remember procedure to drain unvented, but you’re G3 so you know that.
Good luck, it’ll be fine.

Some direct cylinders the bottom immersion is sometimes below the drain off. 10/10 for the designers of those.

Unvented immersions are a lot easier than vented imho.

You will probably find its the thermostat which just plugs in.

Reply to Changing unvented cylinder immersion element in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock