Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern Pan Hose Question in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a pneumatic concealed cistern behind a removable vanity panel. I pulled the panel off to investigate a dull knocking noise when the cistern is coming to nearly full, I haven't ascertained what this might be as yet, I wondered if it was the cold water pipes knocking (as in water hammer) but this wasn't the case.

However, this is the first time I've had this vanity front off since living here for four years and I noticed the hose between the toilet and the pan is slightly on the wonk / angle and the connection to the pan looks like the attached photo.

This has been fine for over four years we've been here and it's been in place for ~13 years so I am not minded to mess with it but just wondered if this looks normal.

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 20
If it has been like that for so long and not leaking then don't touch it. The seals will have formed to this shape and won't take kindly to being disturbed
That was my thoughts... Is it common for these hoses to be installed on the wonk? In an ideal world it would be square / lined up surely.

That’s water hammer either the inlet / fill valve is bouncing / or there’s a pipe rattling

That’s water hammer either the inlet / fill valve is bouncing / or there’s a pipe rattling
Thanks. The strange thing is, it doesn't happen all the time. Another flush right after and it's fine. It happens towards the end of the filling and I even have felt the copper pipe leading into the flexi hose and that is not seemingly vibrating.

Would change the fill valve

I will ask my plumber to that when he is here next... Presumably they aren't standard and it will be specific to my cistern?

Maybe a siamp but your plumber will be able to tell / sort it

Maybe a siamp but your plumber will be able to tell / sort it
Looks like a Grohe got in and took a picture.

More concerning though is it appears to also have dropped on side per the video. I'm surprised it was fixed with two screws and not with washers which presumably is the reason for it slipping on the left side. Again it's probably been like this for years so will let me plumber take a view on it. Disturbing it's position might lead to bigger problems but at the least an extra screw on the left might prevent it departing the wall and flooding.

Not sure who the plastic cistern is made by. Couldn't see any markings.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 9
  • VIDEO-2024-01-19-10-22-55.mp4
    3.6 MB
I would add a washered screw (or flange headed) to the top of each slotted hole before trying to change the fill valve.

It’s one of those : either do the least possible so as not to disturb anything from its current position ( eg flush pipe seals, pan connector);
Or - take cistern right out and refit with new internals and new seals everywhere.
A decision best taken on site.

I would add a washered screw (or flange headed) to the top of each slotted hole before trying to change the fill valve.

It’s one of those : either do the least possible so as not to disturb anything from its current position ( eg flush pipe seals, pan connector);
Or - take cistern right out and refit with new internals and new seals everywhere.
A decision best taken on site.
Thanks... I certainly wouldn't want to move anything if keeping the existing setup. I am considering, just replacing the whole lot excluding the pan given it's age. Probably overkill but gives piece of mind and hopefully many more years trouble free operation.

Reply to Cistern Pan Hose Question in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock