Search the forum,

Discuss Cold booster sets in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Stigster

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi Everyone,

For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice.

Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates because the customer complains of poor performance of all the outlets in the house.

I went there, measured the flow and pressure, static and dynamic, and gave him the figures. Easy stuff. I'm not charging for this because he has already found me a couple of nice kitchen jobs, just I'm returning the favour.

Then he asks me if I can give any advice on her issues with the poor performance of the main house. I thought "Why not, it might be interesting" and I was surprised to find this is a spectacular townhouse, all plumbed and finished everywhere to a high specification in the last two years or so. She only just bought the place though. She has a couple of kitchens, half a dozen bathrooms and all that. The bottom of the garden has another detached dwelling where I did my tests from (for the irrigation) and whilst they insist the mains comes from the main house, I'm not so sure.

The figures for the garden side of things are 4 bar static, 3.5 bar dynamic with a kitchen tap open. 24 l/pm and it doesn't drop much when the kitchen tap is open. It's fine for that property and to use the water supply for the irrigation of the big garden.

To the main house after I agreed to at least take a look. I used no tools, only eyes. Plus I didn't take in as much as I could have done as I was a bit overwhelmed when the homeowner took me on a full snagging list tour of this vast beautiful house. Nice enough lady but focused on lots of small details I'd never get involved in.

Kitchen tap ground floor is 12 l/pm. Shower on same level about the same. Top floor only 8 l/pm with a descending head. I didn't measure it but two open showers at the same time is clearly inadequate.

Basement plant room has two 210 litre unventeds linked, nicely installed. Loads of space. A quality job. I am very annoyed that I didn't note the incoming mains arrangement but hey-ho, I got my figures. The system is clearly not good enough whatever.

She's been quoted ten thousand pounds to dig up the road outside (public road), renew the main and "Install a pump". I told her "to get multiple quotes, my advice was honest and free, that the solution wasn't clearly nonsense and I couldn't do any more than that." She appreciated my advice.

I've thought about this a lot more since I got home. There's room for big water storage tanks and a big pump. The main is clearly inadequate but maybe I've been overthinking this and refused a good job for no good reason. The main is poor. Filling a buffer tank (is that the correct term?) would be no problem though. Everything comes from that plant room, balanced cold and the lot. It could just be whole house pumped with a break tank, right?

Any and all input on this is so appreciated. Some of you must have done many similar things.

p.s. I will at least offer to service the twin cylinders but I also am nervous about getting to involved in all this. I don't really know what to make of all this.

Last edited:
Have a look at the dab easy sys all in one unit eg tank and pump etc

Have a look at the dab easy sys all in one unit eg tank and pump etc
That is so what I'm looking for. I looked them up and see a 480 litre one. Probably about the right size?

I got thrown by the talk of digging up the road and all the other stuff I got bombarded with unexpectedly.

The cylinders are fed in a plant room. I don't need to worry about the main. The road does not have to be dug up. There are packaged solutions. That's how I should be thinking about these situations.

Thanks mate.

That is so what I'm looking for. I looked them up and see a 480 litre one. Probably about the right size?

I got thrown by the talk of digging up the road and all the other stuff I got bombarded with unexpectedly.

The cylinders are fed in a plant room. I don't need to worry about the main. The road does not have to be dug up. There are packaged solutions. That's how I should be thinking about these situations.

Thanks mate.

Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto around 900l if the water mains is bad and you have the space etc

Reply to Cold booster sets in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock