Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Cold Radiator in Bedroom in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. noname

noname Member

My daughter has gas central heating supplied via a Boilermate 2000. In recent months she has found that a radiator in one bedroom does not heat up.
    The system is about 14 years old and has 8 or maybe 10mm pipe work and there is a TRV on one side of the rad.
    Would someone kindly spell out what steps I should take to try and rectify the problem myself before calling a plumber.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Have you tried airing the rad ?

3. noname

noname Member

She has. She lives in Devon and I live in Watford so I do not get to see her that frequently.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Could be a few things like trv pin stuck, lockshield valve closed etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

If it's already bled, you should first check the valves are both open, lockshield and TRV.
    Next try turning off all other rads except the one in question. Run it for a bit, if it heats up follow the instructions on the balancing thread on this forum.
    If that doesn't work, you may have a blockage or a bad airlock, that's probably the time to call a plumber.
    If this is a gravity system and this rad is piped near to where the f/e joins the system, it's likely to be a blockage if the above steps don't work.

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Trv head off. Wiggle pin and bray valve.

DO NOT PULL THE PIN OUT.

7. BobbityBob

BobbityBob New Member

Feel the pipes coming to the radiator, if one gets hot (flow) but then stops at the valve, then valve blocked/knackered. Do this in conjunction with what is said above. If no heat then possible air lock in system.

8. garygvl

garygvl New Member

take the trv head off the valve. the pin should push in and come back out on its own. if its not moving and seems stuck just keep tapping it with a small hammer and if your lucky it will spring out and be ok. doesnt work 100% of the time if valve is really stuck then your only option is to get it replaced

9. RoryD

RoryD Plumber GSR

Call the Plumber mate. It's less hassle.