Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water feed tanks - bowing wood supports - advice on options in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We had an old gravity fed system and the loft has two huge cold feed tanks that are joined at the base, we have moved the cold water supply to mains so the tanks now only feed the hot water cylinder.

The problem is the two tanks are big and the wood frame underneath is bowing badly, would you drain the systems and disconnect one tank (seal the joining hole) and use the one tank, or would you replace the two big tanks with another smaller one to be safe.

not sure on the capacity of each but they are pretty big lol.

i would be worried about the joining hole not holding up but i dont want to waste money if you know a good solution to plug/seal the hole and use the single tank.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hi all,

We had an old gravity fed system and the loft has two huge cold feed tanks that are joined at the base, we have moved the cold water supply to mains so the tanks now only feed the hot water cylinder.

The problem is the two tanks are big and the wood frame underneath is bowing badly, would you drain the systems and disconnect one tank (seal the joining hole) and use the one tank, or would you replace the two big tanks with another smaller one to be safe.

not sure on the capacity of each but they are pretty big lol.

i would be worried about the joining hole not holding up but i dont want to waste money if you know a good solution to plug/seal the hole and use the single tank.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
If you still have a gravity fed open vented system the two tanks are still required.
1. For the heating system small tank called F&E 2. For the hotwater system which is bigger
Take a piccy of your boiler and of these naughty tanks
We will need more info to advise you effectively. Centralheatking

Hi, thank you both for the replies.

The small header tank is a third tank up there (i will be replacing that too as its open top and looking a bit rough) :)

there are two large cold feed tanks joined together that supply the hot water tank, i presume they put two in because the upstairs hot and cold was gravity fed originally.

I have move the cold over to mains supply so the two tanks just supply the hot water now, if i remove one tank to release the weight on the wooden support - what would be the best way of plugging the hole where tanks were joined together?

thats is presuming i dont need two big tanks to top up the hot water - we have electric showers etc.

Thanks

p.s ill grab a couple of pics

Easiest way is to get a fitting black eg looks like a fitting nut without the hole

The small header tank is a third tank up there (i will be replacing that too as its open top and looking a bit rough) :)

there are two large cold feed tanks joined together that supply the hot water tank, i presume they put two in because the upstairs hot and cold was gravity fed originally.

I have move the cold over to mains supply so the two tanks just supply the hot water now, if i remove one tank to release the weight on the wooden support - what would be the best way of plugging the hole where tanks were joined together?

thats is presuming i dont need two big tanks to top up the hot water - we have electric showers etc.

Thanks

Until you explain the layout of your system with a diagram and some piccys nobody on here can effectively advise you Centralheatking

Thanks

Did you change system over to all mains on cold or did you have it done by someone else?

Reply to Cold water feed tanks - bowing wood supports - advice on options in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock