Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water supply to a bathroom washbasin in a modern flat? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I refer to modern purpose-built flats - built within the last 35 years, say. How common is it, in this type of accommodation, for the cold water supply to a bathroom washbasin to come indirectly through a cold water storage tank? Or is it far more common for the cold water supply to come directly from the mains?

Have there been any changes in the law, building regulations, etc., during this period of time, that affect where the cold water supply to a bathroom washbasin must come from?

I presume that the cold water supply to a kitchen sink must always come directly from the mains?

Depends on the tank are we talking about a black plastic one or a light tan coloured one ?

Depends on the tank are we talking about a black plastic one or a light tan coloured one ?
I was thinking of a large black plastic one. In the house we currently live in, there is a large black plastic tank in the loft that feeds only the vented hot water cylinder and the cold water taps on the two baths. All the remaining cold water taps in the house, including those on the bathroom washbasins, are fed directly from the mains. I've never encountered a light tan coloured tank and I have no idea what its purpose might be. (Our vented conventional boiler has a small plastic feed and expansion tank in the loft but that is also coloured black.)

However, we are thinking of downsizing and moving to a modern purpose-built flat - hence the reason for the queries. We want to ensure that the cold water from a bathroom washbasin is in a fit state to clean our teeth, rinse our mouths and even drink. So, ideally, we would want such cold water to come directly from the mains and not indirectly from a cold water storage tank. We are trying therefore to assess how much of a problem this is going to be.

Yes it would of been designed for washing up etc

This is usually for backflow prevention and l8 regs perfumed it's in a serviced block so under l8 they should be inspected every 6months and cleaned annually but I check this with building management

Thank you for your replies so far, but I am afraid that I do not really understand them and their relevance to my query. Let me try again please.

If we are viewing modern purpose built flats with the prospect of buying one, how likely are we to find ones in which the cold water supply to a bathroom washbasin comes directly from the mains? Put another way, the water from the cold tap of a bathroom washbasin emerges under mains pressure.

Mostly all should but there’s no requirement for it to be

Reply to Cold water supply to a bathroom washbasin in a modern flat? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock