Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Column radiator not getting hot in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

I’m after some advice, I’ve a combi boiler heating up 8 radiators and I’ve replaced one with a large column radiator, it’s being fed buy 10mm microbore, it gets warm but doesn’t get as hot as the feed pipes, the radiator heats up fine, no cold spots, all the rest of the radiators in the house get hot, the radiator is 350 /1800mm double panel, I’m considering putting the feed in the top corner so the water has to flow all the way through, the other options I’ve considered is replumbing with 15 mm at the bottom to get more flow, anyone got any advice before I start altering it
    Cheers

406F7756-3189-47FC-B15D-A81D3012380C.jpeg

2. Jamie Liffen

Jamie Liffen GSR

thats a big radiator for 10mm pipes. is that the only radiator on the pipe drop? system may need balancing to push more flow to this rad.
    is this radiator the furthest from the boiler ? dont bother increasing the pipes to 15mm its pointless for the amount of pipe showing.

3. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Is it directional?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

The pipes are reduced above the radiator so if it was replumbed it would be fed from above connected to 15mm pipes where it reduces down to the 10mm

5. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

What do you mean directional

6. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Flow should go in one side and out the other
    Some have a spreader tube to direct the water to the top

7. Chewitt

Chewitt New Member

Check the installation instructions. A lot of vertical radiators have a baffle fitted, the radiator maybe upside down.
    I sell radiators and it is a common mistake.
    There may have been a coloured sticker to indicate the bottom of the rad.

8. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

How can you tell it’s upside down, it’s been fitted over a yr

9. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Some are , some aren't, in my experience the expensive ones are bidirectional, usually have a sticker saying F and R

10. Cailean

Cailean Member

Too big for 10mm. Water will take the easiest route and it isn't wanting to climb up that mountain and back down again.

11. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

have been on best heating website who we bought it off, and read fitting instructions and it doesn’t mention anything about which way up or round to fit it.

12. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

Think it’s going to have the feed to the top and return at the bottom to force the water through it

13. townfanjon

I daren’t ask , Victorian plumbing , please say no

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Paul hayes

Paul hayes New Member

No, new central heating system fitted by my father, microbore is fed off the pipes upstairs, and chopped into the walls, it’s a modern system

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. townfanjon

No wheres the rad from

• Funny Funny x 2