Discuss Combi boiler - bang when hot water opened in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I just had a thought. To be fair, that bang is not straight away after opening a hot water tap. You open the tap, water starts flowing and after maybe 3-4 seconds you can hear that bang. So it doesn't look like it is typical water hammer. My feeling is that this bang happens when boiler shuts central heating flow to prioritise hot water. Also that pressure jump on central heating when that happening... You don't think it might be something to do with boilers internal expansion vessel?

I'd still protect the Pipework and appliances from incoming high pressure I have experience with a similar estate I work on at night when no water is being used pressures can reach 8 bar and drop to 3-4 bar in the day , the heating switching shouldn't cause banging unless the system is not connected correctly is there a auto bypass valve fitted ?? Maybe a few pictures would help us here . Kop

Hi. So there is a photo of instalation and a video of how it looks when it's happening. I have checked mains pressure today and it's only 3 bar during a day.

Attachments

• 20230422_111242.jpg
    20230422_111242.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230422_111631.mp4
    9.2 MB
Pretty much every time. Just when you open hot water it's doing it first time. Then when you close it and open within short time then it's not happening again, untill you close it long enough for boiler to rest completly (something around 5-10 minutes) then it happens again after opening hot water. I hope you can understand what I mean 😜 Regardless if central heating running or not.

This explains it better than I can hope it helps 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230423-075646.png
    Screenshot_20230423-075646.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230423-075455.png
    Screenshot_20230423-075455.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230423-075738.png
    Screenshot_20230423-075738.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230423-075723.png
    Screenshot_20230423-075723.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230423-075705.png
    Screenshot_20230423-075705.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 17
Hello, I am newbie in this forum. I had exactly the same boiler installed around November 2022. It was all fine for some time but then exactly the same issue started happening. I had the little shock arrestor added but that did not helped. I had Viessman checked the boiler and they said that basically everything is fine. They also replaced the little gauge.

I am really curious whether you managed to solve the problem? It clearly something is to do with the pressure and this only happens when I open any hot water tap. Similarly to yours I had open vented system converted to sealed one. I have also installed Aladdin auto vent valves to all radiators.

I also noticed that the pressure reading on the gauge is always higher by about 0.3 bar than on the electronic display but that might be just red herring due to where the electronic gauge actually measures the pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.mov
    8.3 MB

Reply to Combi boiler - bang when hot water opened in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock