Discuss combi boiler leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
released combi boiler pressure,drained 2 ground floor rads,removed one and blanked off its flow /return 8mm pipes replaced other rad with larger size,pressured up system,tested,working fine until 2days later customer calls to say he has no heating/hot water,boiler also leaking,i was away and another plumber called and found boiler was beyond repair, could it have been anything I did? boiler was about 10-15yr old

Did customer say where leak was from?? And where did you drain it from PRV??

Boiler beyond repair huh ??? Love it i gotta try that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair a combi up to 15 years old may be beyond economical repair. See if you can arrange another gsr engineer to take a peek. Beyond repair is an easy thing to say, most things are repairable. Releasing pressure via a prv can open up a can of worms, best avoided, unless it prevents a pop!

try changing the prv it could have some crud in the seating or spring might have broke thus passing

Sounds like the customer may be trying it on. Wherever possible I run a system before I change anything just to make sure it was working on day one. We have all been caught out on the service that is actually a repair. Draining down even via PRV would not cause the exchanger to leak but could have been the final straw allowing crud to shift and expose a small hole.

so do you think I should send in account for the work moving the two rads.? or just forget it and safe the grief?

so do you think I should send in account for the work moving the two rads.? or just forget it and safe the grief?

If you don't invoice it may look like you have given in or admitting responsibility. It is a tough one but I would invoice then if not paid small claims it ( online process easy and impersonal ) Worst thing that happens is that this sort of things eats at your confidence so do the paperwork and get on with the next job.

never drain from a prv you are asking for trouble with re seating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to combi boiler leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Boiler broke over Xmas and needs replacing and I’m tempted to move away from our 1985 gravity fed system and get a combi as many other parts of...
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock