Discuss Communal Rising main water pipe in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I would expect one of those gate valves on the big cold water storage tank on the roof would isolate the pipe you need to reroute? I would guess that pipe was a cold feed to the removed hot water cylinder maybe something like a Elson type cylinder? Google it ? , as your neighbours still have these installed that's why there's still water being used through that pipe, the way to check is trace the pipe back to the tank if possible ? you know which gate valve isolates the bathroom cold supply so it's not that one ok ! if there's another gate valve close to that turn that off ? you will need to run a hot tap for a good few minutes in a neighbours property or rig a hose up connected to the branch hanging down via the stop tap in your property into a drain you may well find you eventually gain control, it's not unusual to find these gate valves partially pass water even when fully closed sometimes this is manageable with proper planning , having the replacement pipe pre made and fitted as much as possible allowing the last couple of joints to be done really helps, I would honestly advise using a crimp machine and the appropriate fittings avoiding any hot work and if there's a little water then it's not a issue as long as it's manageable . Regards Kop

I would expect one of those gate valves on the big cold water storage tank on the roof would isolate the pipe you need to reroute? I would guess that pipe was a cold feed to the removed hot water cylinder maybe something like a Elson type cylinder? Google it ? , as your neighbours still have these installed that's why there's still water being used through that pipe, the way to check is trace the pipe back to the tank if possible ? you know which gate valve isolates the bathroom cold supply so it's not that one ok ! if there's another gate valve close to that turn that off ? you will need to run a hot tap for a good few minutes in a neighbours property or rig a hose up connected to the branch hanging down via the stop tap in your property into a drain you may well find you eventually gain control, it's not unusual to find these gate valves partially pass water even when fully closed sometimes this is manageable with proper planning , having the replacement pipe pre made and fitted as much as possible allowing the last couple of joints to be done really helps, I would honestly advise using a crimp machine and the appropriate fittings avoiding any hot work and if there's a little water then it's not a issue as long as it's manageable . Regards Kop
Hi I close all the gate valves and I ran that little branch on the left for half an hour.
I traced that particular pipe up and found the particular stopcock but I also turned off the gate valve where that lead to if that makes sense.

Is it not plausible that they're getting the main water from the pipe I'm trying to re-route?

Its not impossible I suppose ? but it's wouldn't be as it was installed and there would be a alteration done to redirect the mains water into the down service pipework usually at the tank if its untouched then its less likely I would say , you need control of that water if its tank or mains? ideally the mains, get the plumber involved to get on to Thames water sometimes you need to not take no for a answer . Kop

Last edited:
Hopefully this picture helps
. It's a horrible Pipe that's 60y old it looks rusted and it's my responsibility is dangerous as you can see it's sticking out about 60 cm into the kitchen totally in the way it needs to be rerouted.
I've got permission to do the Works.
Hopefully my previous post made sense when I was in the loft we turned off the stop cocks that was the Down service . We tested all above and below and they didnt have water meanwhile on the left area of this pipe we have water flushing out for half an hour now it doesn't Close anymore so we had to get a special fitting.

The fact the water never stopped made me call another plumber by the way I had three plumber's out here all of them gas registered.

Two out of the three said it's down service they were wrong one of them said is an old gas pipe.
Then I got another one and he told me this is the water going up into the tank in the loft which makes total sense I don't have a tank system anymore it was taken out before I got here.

You are legally allowed to turn water off as long as we notify the people 24 h notice.

The last guy who came seems to know his stuff he said he's done quite a few of these but obviously I want to check because this type is causing us a lot of problems.

Hoping to hear some positive news what's your thoughts now that you seen the picture
Good evening everybody.
I'm hoping some of you very good people out there will remember this post of mine.

Here is what the situation is.
Decided not to freeze as it was too risky we had to repair the valve on the roof which was directly underneath this pipe.
It took the freeholder about 1 year to fix it absolutely Madness but don't ask.
They've eventually replaced it.
If you remember I was a little bit confused what this actually was because I have turned some Gate valves on the storage tank and for 25 minutes the water did not stop.
Well we now know exactly what this is "it is the town service which feed the hot water cylinders"
I have highlighted this post as it contains the photograph for quick review.
Have you can see my property does not have the water tank. Hence why this needs to be rerouted.

Well I'm leaving it a bit late but tomorrow is the faithful day.

The section of the joint appears to be 35 ml imperial I think we're going to go and work off that. We have a soldering joint 35 ml reducing to 28 ml. We also have the compression 35ml going to 28 mil.
The section at the concrete and the section at the bottom below the concrete would it be ok to use soldering joints or do these need to be compression? Yes I am using a plumber fully insured he has initially said soldering joint all the way?
I have taken notes to thoroughly clean the sections as somebody has also advised that it can damage the risers beneath me they have also said to be careful it does not crack in the concrete that's going to be quite a nightmare.

I suppose I'm a little bit nervous even though he has insurance. And I would just like to know the best methods to reroute.
And any other tips along the way that I can tell the plumber tomorrow morning.
He says he has plenty of commercial experience and he's done this many times before but obviously another question I want to have is what happens if something goes wrong and a crack does appear in the middle of the concrete.
That will be quite difficult to rectify won't it?
I know I'm worrying before nothing happened but sometimes it's good to have that mindset so you can be prepared for it.

It will be wonderful to hear from you all again thank you very much

Hello everyone unfortunately this is not been resolved yet.
Long story short the valve was not repaired on that day it took another 6 months and I lost the plumber who was interested many plumbers are not interested in doing the job so I found another one
He came he turned the valve and then eventually hot water started coming out he stopped it and said he has to investigate further and that it could be some sort of a back feed and he's not sure and now he's also disappeared.

This is very frustrating God only knows what I would do if there was a seriously on this pipe there is no control in my property.

Pimlico Plumbers do not do communal many other companies have disappeared after I asked them for insurance because it's a requirement from the freeholder.

I've posted the job in the job section as well but I really just want some further advice and if anyone is at all able to take this on anywhere in the country please let me know and I will pay travel costs along with your time rate

We are really looking for help here

Reply to Communal Rising main water pipe in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back