Discuss Compression fitting blown in the cold weather in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seniorthumb

Hi, I fitted a ball-a-fix valve on the cold feed to the cold water storage tank in October 2011. Lagged all pipes but did not cover the valve. All has been fine - no leaks or problems. House has been empty ever since with heating off. Had a call last week (following temperatures as low as -10 ) from the owner - house flooded, fire brigade forced entry and turned off water. Owner is asking for details of my public liability insurance, I ask him why not use your own, he says something about the property being unoccupied for over 30 days so I assume this invalidates his insurance (?). Should I admit liability? Would my insurance even cover this if it is down to freezing conditions?
Would appreciate your comments.
Thanks.

its not your problem if the house was un occupied then he should have drained the system down or left the heating on

Not a chance that your insurance company would pay out on that. It's the home owners responsibility. He's left the heat off at temps of -10?
As my dad once told me, NEVER admit anything!

i crashed my car last night cause i was drunk, can i claim your van insurance as i dont want to tell mine i was drunk in case they dont pay out

I can't see how it is your fault!!
Every one knows what happens when winter comes and pipes freeze!! Would he be asking for your details if it had been a pipe that split and not a joint!!
It was not the fitting or the installation that failed, it was his negligence to properly maintain his house!
I have a customer that was away for the entire christmas, new year and most of Jan, they drained down the house and turned off all water and asked if they could leave my details with next door incase of a problem!! This is what conciensious home owners do!! others wing it and hope nothing untoward happens!!
I belive there is a clause in house insurance that says about long periods of unoccupancy, that he did not read therfore he is looking for a scape goat to pay for his mistake. I also think that he would need to prove that your work was substandard or the fitting was defective, which as it has been fine for 3 months!!

i crashed my car last night cause i was drunk, can i claim your van insurance as i dont want to tell mine i was drunk in case they dont pay out

tell them the truth kirk, you were drowning your sorrows because of all the problems at ibrox, they'll understand & let you off. lol

They could get cover for an empty house, just they would have had to pay extra for it and thought they risk it, and have now been caught out.

Chancers, not your fault no liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression fitting blown in the cold weather in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock