Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Creaking/ticking pipes when heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jamenergy

Hi,
(will start by saying I'm glad such a forum exists)

I just moved into a property, and when the central heating comes on, there are periodic ticking/creaking noises coming from certain parts of the house.

Based on some rough internet research, it seems like this could be due to expanding pipes fitted too tightly to something, or something like that.

I have a few questions that may have obvious answers, but I literally know nothing.

1) How likely is it that it's the expanding pipes/fitting issue?
2) What kind of method would you use to locate the offending pipe precisely?
3) Other people have dealt with this by inserting some kind of felt into a joist? What is a joist anyway?
After a bit of googling, it looks like some kind of small clip for securing pipes? Can someone find a good picture of one for me?
4) Can someone recommend a solution/material, and give an example of the product online?
5) Could I do the investigation/adjustment myself (with a friend/family member etc) or would it be a job only for experts?

thanks for your time, guys
really appreciate any help, even if you just want to redirect me to some other page discussing this

For 2), I was thinking...
Remove the carpet (maybe just half the room, it's fairly large, and I have some idea where the clicking is coming from already)
Try to remove some floorboards
Turn on heating
Listen around for the clicking?
It doesn't sound too hard in principle, but these things are always harder than they sound.

You are on the right lines pal, all what you have said is true. It sounds like the installers have thrown the system in, probably not using any clips. You will be able to lift carpets etc and secure some of the pipes. However if the pipes are tight around joists you may have to carefully chisel a bit off. You can try slide some pipe insulation up the pipes to areas where you cant reach.
One word of warning though dont make the job worse by securing the pipes too tight and STRESSING them.

its a difficult one as you may keep finding more issues. Joists are what the floor boards are fixed to. You will need to lift carpet then take your best guess as to which floor boards to lift.

Copper pipes touching against the joists (the timber beams below the floor) will not creak much, if at all, providing the pipes are not jammed tight.
You need to lift floorboards anywhere you hear creaks & make sure the pipes have a little space each side of them & are not too close to top of joist where they will rub against bottom of floorboards. A few pieces of damp proof membrane or other heavy polythene will guarantee no noise. If any pipes coming up through floor are very tight to one side, they can creak also.
Make sure you have the pipes marked on floorboards & use light screws to put the boards down again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Creaking/ticking pipes when heating is on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock