Search the forum,

Discuss Customers Unrealistic Expectations. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
i have been ask to wave my wand at a job it has a new kitchen and three new bathrooms it also has a twenty year old open vent boiler which is currently over heating and the boiler stat has been turned down to three and a half as a result it also has a lot of Victoria plumb brassware were only a minimal dribble falls out as its fed from a cwsc
question how do I explain the designer rad will never work well with their micro bore central heating I do need quite a good technical explaination as this couple are immune to reason and only see what they want to see but have made it clear they will wait until the end of time when im available because of my magic powers
ps no im not bitter and twisted that I didn't get the job originally im actually pleased as I don't need these people as customers the plumber has offered reasonable explaination as to why it all doesn't work very well unvented seems difficult as the cylinder is in the middle of their newly decorated house and three bathroom make combi seem unlikely although they used the c word I do think they have spending fatigue I just want out as I see no money in the job but see character assignation as they have no confidence in the previous plumber (hes probably a saint putting up with these two)

The heat capacity of micro bore is lower than the heat output of the convection radiator

Or something along them lines

How about:

Radiators take heat from the hot water inside them and give it out to the room. The amount of heat they can get for a given temperature depends on the volume of hot water flowing though. If you have narrow pipes you can't physically get much flow through them.

Consider a whole house pump for the poor flow at outlets, but noisy.

You need to make it clear that you are not going to mess around and waste their money and your time in the process. Something along these lines perhaps:

Dear Mr & Mrs X

Thank you for the opportunity to quote for remedying the performance issues you are experiencing with your heating and hot water. Having inspected your current system, it is my opinion that minor modifications and/or adjustments will not yield a satisfactory outcome. The works I consider will be needed include: installing a new boiler, conversion to unvented hot water system and upgrading the pipework, emitters and controls. I estimate that the work will cost somewhere in the range £8,000-£12,000 including VAT. As this is more than you were expecting to have to spend, I recommend that you consult one or two other companies before deciding whether you wish to proceed with my proposal. If you do, please let me know and I will prepare a detailed quotation for you to approve.

Last edited:
Its not worth the hassle bud the chances of a satisfactory outcome are very low.

Tell them you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
My favourite regular comment is, - " If you had got me to do the previous plumbing work, I would have advised you at the time on the best solution and sorted it all out for you. Sadly too late now. "

Tell them you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
My favourite regular comment is, - " If you had got me to do the previous plumbing work, I would have advised you at the time on the best solution and sorted it all out for you. Sadly too late now. "
You have to be careful to not sound bitter though?

You have to be careful to not sound bitter though?

True, my wording would come across as sour grapes.
But I wonder why some people need detailed excuses to why something won't work.
Maybe just a few simple statements, -
"Taps you got installed not good enough flow for your water system " (gravity)
"Existing microbore heating pipes not good enough flow for large designer radiators."

and then the ultimate kick in the teeth remark, -
" Did your previous plumber(s) not consult with you before doing this current plumbing that you now have? " ;)

Jokingly you cant polish a turd or make s--t shine best has coverd it well the customer has been let down big time but its not your doing so be honest tell them and dont feel guilty they chose him. Cheers kop

Personally I feel total honesty is the best policy...

Letter or email that includes, "Whilst I sympathise with your plight and your future, the only way to guarantee both heating and water supply performance in your home is to design and install it properly. Unfortunately, we are all bound by the universal rules of physics so neither I (nor anyone else) can deliver what you desire without extensive re-work to fix much of what's already been installed. Should you wish to proceed please give me a call. "

What I'm trying to say here is that, as already mentioned, you should walk away. Its a minefield and the only person who's going to lose would be you as the last person to touch anything. The paragraph says you're willing but have both standards and integrity and they are not to be compromised by cheapskates...

Sometimes walking away makes you more money...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customers Unrealistic Expectations. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock