Search the forum,

Discuss DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know this has prob been discussed but I can't find the thread.

So my boss calls me today and says:

"Jay, I'm at blah blah property, you turned off a DFE as there was no vent?"
"Oh yeah" I say.
"How'd you work that one out, it's only 6kW?"
"All DFE's need a 100cm2 vent even if under 7kW" I say
"Nah, they use adventitious air" he says and reinstates the fire.

I've read my book 3 times now which clearly states that all DFE fires less than or equal to 20kW require a 100cm2 vent - unless MI's say otherwise. No MIs were available.

Am I right or am I wrong?

As confirmed in absence of MI's the default for DFE fires is 100cm² vent!
Your boss is a muppet!

Generally yes if you don't have the MI's but not always.
Under 7kw if the flue can clear 70m³/hr of products it doesn't need one.

Basically if you don't have the book and haven't a spare hour to pis about on the internet looking for it, Its going of and if your boss wants to turn it back on wgaf. Its his problem not yours.

Only if MI's confirm this is acceptable tamz. It is not a general standard.

Basically if you don't have the book and haven't a spare hour to pis about on the internet looking for it, Its going of and if your boss wants to turn it back on wgaf. Its his problem not yours.

Maybe but is his choice and he is paying the wages.
Just cause he pays the wages it does not exempt him from being a muppet!:tounge_smile:

its his gas safe reg if he gets pulled up tho

Last edited:
At the end of the day he is the responsible person now its back on and generally, not always, being an employer makes you pretty fuc kin switched on about what can and can't be done as he has a lot more than a job or a couple of quid to loose.

Well, my name is on paperwork turning it off so I did what I was meant to. And I'll carry on with this rule. Thanks for all the replies guys ;) much appreciated

Are you sure it was a DFE fire and not LFE? I've had this quite a few times with the guys at work where they aren't sure.

As Tamz said generally a gaffer who is on the tools with a GS card will probably know what can and can't be done, and have a bit of savvy about him, and if he's reinstating something you turned off will probably double double check.

Are you sure it was a DFE fire and not LFE? I've had this quite a few times with the guys at work where they aren't sure.

As Tamz said generally a gaffer who is on the tools with a GS card will probably know what can and can't be done, and have a bit of savvy about him, and if he's reinstating something you turned off will probably double double check.

It was def a DFE, without a doubt.

Well, my name is on paperwork turning it off so I did what I was meant to. And I'll carry on with this rule. Thanks for all the replies guys ;) much appreciated
I bet, your Boss won't call you again. :45:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock