Discuss Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also thinking about getting that £180 quid Dewalt, and I agree it is considerably smaller than a regular core drill. Is it up to the job?

The £139.99 Sparkys at Screwfix are still out of stock as they've been for weeks now, I check every day and they never have any.

What was that? Someone is about to slag off the Sparky I can feel it......

If you are going to be drilling flue cores expect to spend over £100 on a decent core bit.
A decent machine will be £300 - £800

The rest will all do what they say..............................eventually.
Depends what and how often you are drilling and how much you value your time.

Update - I bought the DeWalt D21570 on ebay, from a shop. £147 inc vat and postage, for a reconditioned one 240v (factory reconditioned - with 1 year warranty). They still have a 110v available as well, last time I looked. Arrived quickly 2 days. Also got a set of core bits went for Marcrist Turbolite. I seem to remember Marcrist have a pretty good name in drilling bits and diamond stuff. Came in 2 days as well, another ebay shop, paid £106 for the set of 5 cores. Very good value I thought.

Tried it out yesterday. Only a small core through an outer wall. Wow. Superb! That drill has a hell of a lot of power, you can feel the torque as soon as you pull the trigger. I love the shape of the drill, somehow fits in my hands far better than the normal core drill shape handle. This just feels comfortable. Drill feels solid and you can tell the housing is solidly built. Easy to change speeds as well, for the larger or smaller cores. Plus hammer mode. The chuck is 16mm and is enormous. Really lovely chuck. Its so big that it feels solid when you tighten it with the key, feels over sized, but I like that. Core drilled out faster than any core I've ever done. But, it was a small core and the drill bit was brand new, so not exactly a good test. But certainly not a disappointment. I'll try and remember to report back once I've drilled with the larger cores. The Dewalt has a nice solid feeling case and is actually really small in the case. Surprisingly so. My friends Metabo is a beast of a core drill, its enormous, this thing is more like a cordless drill. Another plus point for me, small tools are easier to cram in the car. the Marcrist also has a nice black case, with wheels and a pull out handle if needed. Though I doubt I'd ever need to use that. Its not that heavy to carry.

Paul

So can it be used as a normal drill aswell?, is this why it has hammer action albiet non SDS hammer action?

Yes I presume so. I presume the hammer action is there so that you can drill a pilot hole first with a separate drill. Useful backup drill as it has this facility.

I use a £25 240v Powerplus (B&Q) SDS Drill for coreing. So far on this drill ive cored around 40 holes. Average drilling time, circa 30 mins.

Buy a good one and cut the time down to 5 mins or less for a std 11" wall.
30 minutes would core a 30" stone wall.

30mins! I can do a cavity wall flue core in five mins with marcrist gold and even a Bosch normal heavy duty ads drill

My 24v Hitachi and Marcrist bits will get me through a 9" in no time - pleasantly surprised the first time I used it.

Lent the bits to a sparky at a house and heard him using the bloody thing on hammer. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Diamond Core Drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all need some advice on drilling a big hole :-) Need to fit a pipe for extractor in kitchen and the OD is 156mm. This is only a one time job...
Replies
Views
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice from people who have these brands or these particular sets. I am torn between either the ; MAKITA DLX2145TJ...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
I'm looking to buy a core drill bit set for professional use. I want it all in the same case as I hate having odd tools rattling around but all...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock