Discuss Direct unvented element in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Your original post asked whether as an unqualified DIY'er you could replace a blown immersion element on an unvented cylinder...The overwhelming response was NO and you were advised to have the work done by a G3 qualified engineer..You've confirmed the element has failed, told us how much you can buy a replacement for and the cost of doing an unvented course with Gledhill...so maybe you should do the course, get your G3 ticket, buy the part and do the job because I don't think we are likely to change our minds!!..I'm out too.

Was only asking opinions.:rolleyes:

Opinions do not matter. The law does. Fact is, you could do it and it'll be fine. You could do it and it goes wrong - not always as you may think! In that instance, not only do you have the moral implications but legal too. In law you will be fully cupable - as indeed you should be.

Take the ADVICE (not opinion), be the sensible and responsible Dad (put away your ego) you are and help your daughter get it done properly. You know it makes sense ;)

I think more so than shooting you down we err on the side of caution. Look at it from our perspective; the first piece of advice we’d give is get a G3 in. You then follow up with I’ve tested the immersion and it’s fubar. We then follow up with get a G3 in to ensure the correct part is sourced. You then follow up with I’ve sourced the element. What else are we to think other than you’re contemplating doing it yourself. Likewise look at the other side of the coin the next unqualified person reading this may think how easy it is to do

If you've done a resistance test on the element then you've done more than a lot of guys do.
Even still you need to be qualified (G3)to do the work, just the way it is now.

Reply to Direct unvented element in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back