Search the forum,

Discuss Direction arrow on isolation valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Can someone explain in detail which direction the arrow should face. In our house we have taps/toilets with arrows facing towards the appliance and some the opposite direction. I thought it has to face the direction of flow. Is that correct? If do, does that mean if placing an isolation valve for a tap for instance, should it point to the tap?

Why is it important that it faces the correct way? What happens if placed incorrectly?
Ta in advance.
I like detailed answers, so don't be afraid to write lots

Why is it important that it faces the correct way? What happens if placed incorrectly?

You are begging the question; in many applications it may not be 'important'.

Installing the wrong way round may (depending on the design of the valve and the pipework) either (a) cause flow-limiting turbulence to occur at lower flow-rates thn would otherwise be the case, and (b) the isolation seal may not be quite as effective.

So, when installing or repairing, I would always fit such valves the correct way round. I would not, however, dismantle a system that was otherwise okay just to turn them round.

Thanks for the reply.
Is it correct that the arrow should point towards the tap that I am going to install?
Ta

Yes / direction of flow

Cheap ballofix valves don't matter, they should be put the correct way for flow, but I have seen many the wrong way round without affecting performance.

most iso valves have no performance change if fitted backwards. if you look at how they are made you will see why they have an arrow. the internals are pushed into the valve when made, when under pressure the internals cant be pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Direction arrow on isolation valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock