Search the forum,

Discuss Dishwaster waste setup in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

When our dishwasher is running or has been running in the last few hours, the house is filled with an egg-y sewer smell. I've been trying to get to the bottom of what this could be and I have my suspicions about the way the waste pipe is setup so I thought it was time to consult the experts before embarking on a fool's errand over the Xmas break!

I've attached a couple of photos that show the set-up underneath our kitchen sink. We don't seem to get the issue when running the washing machine, whose waste joins just before the u-bend. However, knowing the function of a U-bend is to stop smells coming up, I noticed with the dishwasher setup that there is no u-bend between the sewer and the open pipe the dishwasher waste is sitting in. Is this correct or should we ideally have a u-bend here?

Additionally, the waste hose from the back of the dishwasher has a fairly steep incline to get from the back of the machine and up through the hole at the back of the cupboard before it reaches the pipe. I did wonder whether this was too steep and could be causing waste water to sit in the hose, explaining why the smell only seems to happen when the dishwasher is on and said waste is 'disturbed'?

Am I on the right lines or totally off the mark?

Thanks for your time,

Craig

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dishwaster waste setup in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is a picture of my sons sink plumbing. The yellow arrow goes to the dishwasher and the red arrow goes to the washing machine. There is a problem with waste water going from the sink, into the washing machine I guess because the pipe, right on the elbow isn't high enough. I have tried to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm seeking advice on resolving the persistent blockage issues with my downstairs toilet. A year ago, I replaced an 80s close-coupled toilet with a more affordable model. This new toilet is a back-to-wall type featuring a concealed cistern within a separate unit. Since its installation...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the branch) and plan to place it the opposite end of the room. I was pretty lucky to find a 110mm sewer waste pipe below the old sink which is the new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock