Discuss Domestic Wastepipe Sizes & Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

Hello

Can anyone please help to lift the fog surrounding domestic waste pipe and fittings please, in particular domestic waste pipe 32mm and 40mm. As i understand waste pipe work is measured on the internal diameter as opposed to the OD for copper. When i go to the merchants to buy pipe i ask for standard lengths of 32mm or 40mm respectively and they just sell this too you but i have found that different pipe manufacturers have different OD therefore not all solvent weld, compression or push fit plastic joints interwork on all pipework.

I was reading a thread on one forum where they were discussing there being 2 x different types of waste pipe, one for solvent welds the other for compression but i thought it was just the one type of pipe for either ?

Sorry in advance if i am being slow but is there a general rule of thumb/guideance when it comes to using ABS wastepipe products.

:confused5:

GQuigley67, thankyou so to be clear i need to specify to the merchants the type of pipe i need which will then determine the type of fitting ?

i only use solvent so i just ask for solvent pipe and fittings, compression can be used for both

push fit is sold in old 11/2 and 11/4 inch and solvent weld is sold in metric mm. You can use compression on both, you can get push fit convertor couplers that will push onto pushfit and solvent. They are made from different plastics, pushfit pipe will not glue with solvent glue.

there are different size overflow pipes aswell, on the old pushfit and 21.5mm solvent. You can get couplers and compression fittings to convert these to.

it can be confusing.

Thanks guys for the responses this has clearly lifted the fog, i hope the information is useful to other readers as well.

Note... when using solvent weld, one manufacturer's may be tight or slack on another. There isn't much in it but can be a pain trying to get them to fit if you don't use same supplier all the time

also it is advisable to have ventilation when using solvent weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Domestic Wastepipe Sizes & Fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock