Discuss drilling through walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

does anybody know of a gadget that will tell me exactly where to drill through walls, to get a straight line through the walls, I am thinking of something similar to a pipe and cable detector.

but will go through 300mm or 400mm walls.

scenario 1, drilled through wall but no access from inside, so went diagionally, cam back straight. ended up having to relocate condensate pipe as pipe too close to condensate.

scenario 2, had to get a soil pipe through a roof space that was around 1.5 metres, no access to loft space, had to estimate fall.

on both occassions i could of done with a starting point from outside as to know exactly where my hole was going.

perhaps magnets or sensors would be good.

usually a tape and a level is sufficent to tell me where to drill some times you just have to offer up a prayer to the god of plumbing and go for it
there are devices that would allow you to pin point the spot to drill but they tend to fill a small lorry and cost thousands
must admit ive thought the same over the years and no doubt it will come eventually
the ending up to close to what you want to connect scenario is part of the learning curve jase always try to give your self room to maneuver

Last edited:
I always drill a small diameter pilot hole first to mark the centre of where the hole is to come out. Tool station sell 1metre long drill bits. At least a small hole can be filled in.

I always drill a small diameter pilot hole first to mark the centre of where the hole is to come out. Tool station sell 1metre long drill bits. At least a small hole can be filled in.

Cheers for that system. The simplest ways are always the best.

Not at all, it's me what is simple for not thinking of it all by myself.:6:

Now, now kiddies let's all behave like big grown up jobby mechanics like we're supposed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drilling through walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hello again. Anyone on here familiar with the installation of remote filling pipes for domestic oil tanks? We are trying to figure out ways of...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
a few months ago I made an enquiry re a leak in hot water system under the floor preventing central heating working. thanks for help in my last...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock