Search the forum,

Discuss Drilling top of gas meter boxes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darrenbea

Hi I'm going around doing landlord certs for a social housing company, I keep coming a cross new boilers fitted by a big company with the gas runs entering the top of the receded meter box.
i've alway taken the gas run down the side a drilled the bottom.
by drill the top even if it sealed with silicon is that N.C.S OR A.R.
I was told its A.R.

i've seen over twenty meter cabinets drilled on the top I've told my manager and marked it down on the cert but I've told to rewrite them and remove it from the cert.

top or bottom it needs to be sleeved and sealed because if you look inside the hole you've drilled in the meter box through the lip its exposed to the cavity. why is it at risk drilled from the top?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told there a chance of water could run down the gas pipe and get in from the top and could start corroding the meter. Where if you enter from the bottom there no chance of this happening as water would run off the pipe before entering meter box.

Not piping from the top sounds like good practice if piped from the top and sleeved and sealed, ncs at most. personally i wouldn't at risk something like that.

it should not be taken through the top due to the risk of water entering the box as ive been advised by Gas Safe in the past. the bottom is best, side is ok depending on the box.

even if you seal it with mastic, it could fail and result in water entering.

your probably looking at ncs if there no sign of water ingress, AR if there is water ingress and ID if theres corrosion, Phone gas safe to find out and then tell us what they say.

AR if cavity open. Seal inside of bottom sleeved entry with FJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drilling top of gas meter boxes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock