Currently reading:
Dropped off the first page of Google...

Discuss Dropped off the first page of Google... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
I found out tonight that my website is on page 2 of the Google search results.
It used to be very high on page 1, 2nd real website at one point (not paid ad) and I got plenty of work from it. Last couple of weeks the Google work has dried up and I only found out today why that was.
Because of the success of my website results I cut back on my Google ads budget a couple of months ago and I think that may be why my 'free' rank has suffered.
Just putting this out there for any others who are in a similar situation, cut back your funds to Google ads and they don't just affect your paid ads. I suppose Google will justify it by saying that there are less links to the website because the paid ad is displayed less, but whichever way you look at it, it's pretty obvious that 'free' Google results are directly affected by how much you pay them regardless of the relevance of the search query.
To test, I'm going to increase my daily Google ads budget and not touch any other online presence to see if my ranking improves.
Work's still ticking over but I'd like to be busier so it will be interesting to see if this works - and how much it costs.

Joe the aim of the game is to appear on the organic listings and not the sponsored ads.
A lot fall into the trap of getting to front page and thinking that's it. However search engines read sites and things need to be changed and modified behind the scenes. Google hates inactivity and penalize you for it.

My mate is Seo expert. He's sorting my website out now. For a small monthly fee he GUARANTEES ongoing first page presence. For all plumbing searches and not just a couple of keywords. No pay ner click or any of that stuff.
Also if you like you can have a free website evaluation of your existing pages :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers Kev, I've been making changes to my site on a regular basis, so not sure why it would take a nose dive off the first results page. I was presuming the Google results algorithm may take my payments to Google ads into consideration. If they're not linked in any way though, maybe I should take a different approach to getting my first page result back. It's such a pain though as you don't know which changes affect your ranking and any changes take days to get picked up by the Google spiders.
I'll have a pop at it and if I can't get it back on page 1 myself I'll contact your mate. :computer::computer:

the only person who truly gives you something free is your mum, everyone else has an angle,

my son designs and runs 100's of websites its a game to them, one minute they have 3 or 4 in the top 10 the next day their best one is on P8 and getting them or their clients nothing, its all about knowing how to play googles game and keeping one step ahead, via linking sites and using feeder sites to support others, probably not something a sole trader would find workable, but thats what they do for a living and obviously i have no interest or knowledge of the day to day running of what he does it is successful when done properly, their SEO charges range from a few £100 to £100k per year per site so its big business for a lot of firms

google have recently changed the way they rank pages a lot of websites have dropped out of the first page something to do with quality of links I think.

You want your site on page one of google and you have to pay the piper. If you don't pay enough, you'll be on page 2, or 3 or whatever until your budget suffices.

I only get very occasional work from my website, but it's a nice feeling when I do get something from it, as it's cheap compared to advertising in the local rag.

think of it as a horse race.

you go buy a stallion for £100k, feed and train it with the best available. get a champion jocky's rse on it with a 10% win bonus ready for its first race with no extra weight at 50/1 odds and it wins.!!

your happy, jocky's happy, nice one you think,££££

next race you get 4lb added and 12/1 odds, your horse comes in 3rd. not bad is it and a few quid in the bank?.

the next race a week later with the same set up adds 7lb extra weight and comes nowhere, no £££ and bills to be paid for stabling jocky fees etc. your the only one loosing. !!!!.

whats going on?.

the jocky has his rse on other fresh rides getting his 10% bonus wins plus milking you for his bread and butter ride.

or in other words; it aint a one horse race to come first!

just while i remember, i was top in google (#8 i think) for free for over a year and not even got a web-site?????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update:
I've been back on page one for a couple of days, about 6th position and rising.
All I did was amend the hover-text on the images on the first page of my site to 'bolton plumber'. So looks like we just need to keep on top of updating our sites to keep them up there :)
Incidentally, when I use my main computer (The one I log in to Google with) it shows me as webpage #1 on the results, on my phone and anyone elses computer I'm 6th, not sure why Google does that, but it's worth noting when you check your position.

is your site optimised for internet explorer and yahoo or are they not worth bothering with?

Google and bing are the biggest

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you've got an Android phone or tablet, you can use [DLMURL="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inc.im.serptracker&feature=more_from_developer"]this App[/DLMURL] to accurately keep track of all your positions on Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dropped off the first page of Google... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back