Search the forum,

Discuss Dt30 or Dt25 Rad design in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

When installing a condensing system boiler to an existing property, do you base your radiator design on Dt30 or Dt 25

Boilers only begin to condense with a rad/boiler return temp of < 55C.

Radiators are based on " T50" basis, this is the mean radiator temperature minus the required room temperature, the mean rad temperature is the (flowtemp+returntemp)/2 and 20C is normally used as the required room temp but doesn't have to be, so "deg rating" is (flowtemp+returntemp)/2 minus 20C, if you require a T50 rad to give 100% output, then flow/return temps of 75C/65C will give this as (75+65)/2 minus 20 = 50C and 100% rad output but with only a rad dT of 10C, if you reduce the flowrate to give a rad dT of 25C then the rad becomes a, (75+50)/2 minus 20 = 42.5C, (a T42.5C rad now) but with a reduced output of (42.5/50)^1.3, = 81% output.
If you only required your rad to output say 30% (a T20 rad now) then flow/return temps of 47.5C/32.5C. rad dT of of 15C will achieve this but with very high boiler efficiency due to very low boiler return of 32.5C.

So to achieve reasonable condensing benefits, rads should be oversized by a factor of ~ 2.0 IMO.

Depends on how much space you've got for rads. at dT25 your rads will have to have 2.5 times the manufacturers nominal (dT50) output and for dT30 it will be about 1.9 times to achieve the required heat input to the room.

Boilers only begin to condense with a rad/boiler return temp of < 55C.

Radiators are based on " T50" basis, this is the mean radiator temperature minus the required room temperature, the mean rad temperature is the (flowtemp+returntemp)/2 and 20C is normally used as the required room temp but doesn't have to be, so "deg rating" is (flowtemp+returntemp)/2 minus 20C, if you require a T50 rad to give 100% output, then flow/return temps of 75C/65C will give this as (75+65)/2 minus 20 = 50C and 100% rad output but with only a rad dT of 10C, if you reduce the flowrate to give a rad dT of 25C then the rad becomes a, (75+50)/2 minus 20 = 42.5C, (a T42.5C rad now) but with a reduced output of (42.5/50)^1.3, = 81% output.
If you only required your rad to output say 30% (a T20 rad now) then flow/return temps of 47.5C/32.5C. rad dT of of 15C will achieve this but with very high boiler efficiency due to very low boiler return of 32.5C.

So to achieve reasonable condensing benefits, rads should be oversized by a factor of ~ 2.0 IMO.
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, the situation I’m in is that I’m going to get my boiler replaced with a condensing system type and have done a heat loss.

Only two of my existing radiators are ok at dt30 or dt25, but I don’t have wall space for the other room radiators at dt25 but I do for dt30.

If my flow is 55 my return will be in the condensing range if I have sized my rads and balanced them correctly for dt30.

Does that sound about right?

Can I suggest if you are going for a new boiler you get one with a weather compensation option? If radiator size is an issue you could design your system for say dT40 and run at 70/50. This would not only mean the boiler is condensing most of the time anyway but the radiator size would be smaller as you would only need to oversize by about 30% to get the required output and you would also save by not heating the water so much as the compensator reduces the flow temp on warmer days.

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply, the situation I’m in is that I’m going to get my boiler replaced with a condensing system type and have done a heat loss.

Only two of my existing radiators are ok at dt30 or dt25, but I don’t have wall space for the other room radiators at dt25 but I do for dt30.

If my flow is 55 my return will be in the condensing range if I have sized my rads and balanced them correctly for dt30.

Yep once balanced and providing your pipe sizing is correct you will have a return around 35dc

Yes some very good savings there, all the way down to 25% rad output.

1678724633489.png

Can I suggest if you are going for a new boiler you get one with a weather compensation option? If radiator size is an issue you could design your system for say dT40 and run at 70/50. This would not only mean the boiler is condensing most of the time anyway but the radiator size would be smaller as you would only need to oversize by about 30% to get the required output and you would also save by not heating the water so much as the compensator reduces the flow temp on warmer days.
Thanks for your comments, the boiler will be an ideal vouge, I’ve fitted the external sensor in anticipation lol

-3 and 21 for most places

Up north I would advise -5 and 21 as a starting point

When you calculated the heat loss, what (minimum) outside and inside temperatures did you use or is there a "standard"?.
I used the CIBSE guide, so for me it was -3 and 21 for the living room, I made a spreadsheet based on there heat loss model to include any beneficial heating from other rooms to try and get as accurate as I could with the known bits of how the house is constructed.

Reply to Dt30 or Dt25 Rad design in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock