Search the forum,

Discuss eco heating thermostat for a holiday let? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nick-Hudson

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hello - I've recently starting renting a flat out as a holiday let and I wanted some advice on changing the heating and hot water controller.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I'm responsible for all the utilities and guests which stay come for just a few days at a time.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I want to try and prevent guests from just hitting the override buttons and having the heating and hot water on all the time 24/7.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]The flats heating system is about eighteen years old, gas boiler and mega flo. The heating controller I have is an original Honeywell one which allows mon - fri settings and weekends and is positioned in the kitchen. You can program it to come on 3 different times of the day. There is no thermostat. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]When I lived at the property I would set the heating to come on for an hour or so in the morning and same early evening and then top it up when necessary with the extra hour button..[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]If guests hit the override button there's no thermostat to cut things off and it could just be left on.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Can anyone recommend a simple solution? I'm guessing I need some sort of wireless thermostat and new controller?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]The current controller is in the kitchen wired to 240v and is mounted on a stainless steel splashback ( I read somewhere that this might interfere with a wireless signal......)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I don't want to be too tight fisted ( well okay I do a bit!) but it would be good to be able to set a limit so it turns off at 23 degrees.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]i was recently at Centre Parcs for a weekend and they had a Honeywell controller which at night time couldn't go above 14 degrees and seemed to have a default setting of 21. You could put it up as high as 23 but it would go back to 21 I think after a while.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Any suggesting would be gratefully received.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]( sorry to have rambled on for so long........)
[/COLOR]
Thanks
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]nick[/COLOR]

Nick, what did you do for your property? I am in the same basic situation.

In this situation I'd look at internet enabled controls.
can set from phone and can usually lock the manual controls.
Not cheap but worth looking at.

Charge more for the rental, you cant expect people to sit in the cold or go without hot water, have you not worked out what the bills are going to be & factored that into the rent you are charging, how do you think hotels/ campsites do it ?

Ive known some good hotels to have central controller so heating can be turned on/off with check in/out.

So I am not expecting or wanting people to sit in the cold, that is not the intent, even just the simple option of limiting the maximum value it can be set to is useful, so many people still think setting the stat to 30C means the room heats up quicker than if was just set to 22C or 24C and left there. And once set to 30C it is forgotten about for a few hours or for the whole stay.

From the previous owner, Yes I have a good idea how much oil they will burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to eco heating thermostat for a holiday let? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock