Search the forum,

Discuss Everything in my house leaks! =[ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LincsLady

Hello,I would appreciate some advice from you knowledgable folk please.I bought my house about 3 years ago, it is a 90s build and I plan on selling it in January. Not long after I moved in I noticed a couple of leaks, one under the bathroom sink and another under the kitchen sink. The leaks looked like they were due to eroded pipes so I replaced the pipes and all seemed fine. A few months ago in the summer the toilet began leaking from the pipes behind every now and then and the kitchen sink pipes that I had replaced were completely eroded again. Also, the boiler had developed a pretty steady leak so I called in a heating engineer. He serviced the boiler and said there was probably a leak somewhere in or outside the house and the boiler would probably need replacing in about 12 months. This was around about June. Shortly after this I received a letter from the water board saying there was a leak either inside or outside the house, they would investigate and if it was a problem their end they'd sort it and I'd hear nothing more; if it was a problem in the house they would let me know and I'd have a week to sort it. I've heard nothing since. Now, everything but the bathroom sink seems to have a leak and the boiler has been making some odd noises so I'm getting quite concerned. I've used the boiler most of the year and it works fine. I have to adjust the pressure now and then. It seems to have been leaking more lately and nowthat it's approaching the colder months I'm starting to worry. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me a little advice on what is best to do next.Could a problem outside the house cause everything in the house to leak? Would the water board find a leak on their end and take a long time to fix it? Is there a way I can check if there is a problem outside causing the problems inside myself? And lastly, will my boiler explode and kill me? Much obliged

welcome along.

If the water pressure coming into the property is very high, as in it has increased that could possibly cause issues.
It could well be coincidental various issues that need attention.
Is the boiler going to explode? probably not, but ???
you need to get someone to take a look at all the different issues.

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for your quick response.

You're right, I do need to get someone in. I suppose I was hopeful there could be a way to find out it was an issue outside of the house causing everything that could be sorted and would stop all of the other problems in the house. Except the boiler, I think that's probably just a goner!

In terms of checking the water pressure coming into the house, would a pressure gauge that I can buy do the trick or is that not something I could check myself?

Thank you again, I appreciate your help.

Hi
The gauges used to measure water pressure have to be connected to a pipe so you would have to turn off the water somewhere and find a place on a pipe to connect the gauge to. I would only attempt that if you feel confident about working with water pipes, but perhaps you do as you say you have replaced pipes under your bathroom and kitchen sinks. (I take it they were water not waste pipes as you say they were corroded and only metal can corrode. In a house built in the 1990s, the waste pipes under the sinks would be plastic.)
But if you are getting a plumber they can measure the pressure for you.

Leak on toilet, ("now and again"), probably caused by pan connector. This is common problem made worse if access impeded by tiling. Replace with McAlpine, which grips rubber seal without separate collar. Plumber needed to properly remedy basin pipes. Even flexibles should last more than 12 months. Consider adding small expansion vessel to incoming water main, as sometimes non return valve at meter can cause pressure problem, as cold water heats and expands overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Everything in my house leaks! =[ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock