Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion pumping over in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have an S plan heating system with a deaerator fitted and a Grunfos 15-60 in a 19 rad system
When I run the pump on full it pumps over the expansion
The cold feed isn't blocked
It doesn't pump over on hot water only
This is a new occurence as it never happened before

I am a retired heating engineer and have seen most things but have never seen this before
I am considering a powerflush but would like to pick the brains of the many before I jump in

I received this reply but had to register to continue
Hi Dennis
What type of deaerator have you got?
Most people would suggest cutting it out & pipeing it back up (in 28mm if you can).

If the system is dirty it will alway accumulate in the air separator due to the low water velocities I doubt very much whether a power flush will clear it out.

The

Thanks for the reply

I think it's a 22mm airsep image attached
I can't see how the HW side is OK and not the CH

IMG_0176.JPG

As previous. It will almost definitely be caused by the air separator. The hw will have far less restrictions so will probably cope with the flow. A power flush and cutting that out normally cures it. Try opening the bypass when heating g is on and couple check if it still does it. Also, is there a rad without trv? It could be they're all closing down if not. Probably teaching you to suck eggs but that's just the most common faults I've seen.

Looks like an old system, is the heating 2 port opening fully?

A repipe of the feed & expansion should cure it, maybe a combined feed & vent?

Thanks for the replies

I don't have a bypass as there is no need for a pump overrun
I don't have any TRV's
I assume that the MV is operating correctly as when I run HW only it doesn't leak past and when it's calling for heat the rads heat up, however previously the pipe to the CH MV was furred up quiet bad. I replaced this but suspect it may be partially blocked again, would that cause it to pump over when on the high speed?
The system is probably 25 years old and trouble free apart from two new boilers
There is inhibitor in the system

Would a power flush clear any partially blocked pipe close to the CH MV

I have just tested my pipes in the airing cupboard with a magnet and I have a build up of magnetite scale in them
What would be the best way to treat this apart from repiping it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion pumping over in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock