Search the forum,

Discuss feed and expansion tank but no vent?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas,

At a house yesterday - had to drain down central heating system ( oil fired ) , to replace circ pump/ pump valves and 2 port valve. After refilling system had a serious problem getting heat into the downstairs rads - it was when trying to clear a poss air lock that I discovered there was no vent over the f and e tank. Normal vent from hot water cylinder over the 50 gallon tank but definitely no vent for heating system. Got things going by back filling system and letting air out of joint at hot water cylinder but first time I have seen this and wondered if anyone else has come across this……..

cheers

dave

ps definitely no automatic air vents elsewhere either

close coupled f and e by the sounds of it

you're thinking of combined feed and expansion where you just run 22 or 28 to the tank

close coupled is the standard set up

combined comes in two variants
one where you just connect directly to the bottom of the tank
The other where you tee into the feed and make a vent from there

Last edited:
Here you go

Edited my last post with more info
Pic here

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395586347.064183.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395586347.064183.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 124
you're thinking of combined feed and expansion where you just run 22 or 28 to the tank

close coupled is the standard set up

combined comes in two variants
yeah that's what I meant
one where you just connect directly to the bottom of the tank
The other where you tee into the feed and make a vent from there
yeah that's what i meant it's a Sunday not on top of the ball sorry Killy

yeah that's what i meant it's a Sunday not on top of the ball sorry Killy

ey don't apologise, with the thousand odd plumbing terms tis easy to get things mixed up

had a drink last night Irish? Haha

op when i come across them if there isn't a manual air vent on the coil if its easy i tee one in, i hate backfeeding

Saw one like this yesterday so is it ok to leave like this as it can still feed back into the tank

Thanks chaps - a new one on me. This sort of arrangement is thankfully not too common round these parts

cheers dave

Thanks chaps - a new one on me. This sort of arrangement is thankfully not too common round these parts

cheers dave

if you come across one don't be tempted to change it.

usually changed to combined if the system has issues with pumping over or drawing air in

But less air issues once filled, most open vent systems i fit from new, i do it like this

A will never pump over and well said Killy never alter it, most of these did have a combined Feed and Vent pipe teed in just under the tank and then some smart bum decide they wanted a separate feed and expansion and the fun started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to feed and expansion tank but no vent?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock