Discuss Firebird flue problem in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm trying to clean the flue on a scooted up Fiebird Evironmax. The condensate pipe had blocked causing the condensate pathways in the boiler to clog with soot. I can't see an easy way to clean the internal passages,anyone seen this please?

Wet sooty passages are horrible to deal with, really very little you can do. If its really bad take as many turbulators out as possible, put them in a container with hot water and bicarbonate soda and leave to soak and providing there's enough space for flue gases to pass bring the boiler on to dry it out. Once dry tackle it.
I've seen blocked condensate do this several times and its never an easy job. You also want to take burner out and maybe line the inside of boiler with old newspapers before trying to clean.
This is going to be dirty.

Good luck.

Wet sooty passages are horrible to deal with, really very little you can do. If its really bad take as many turbulators out as possible, put them in a container with hot water and bicarbonate soda and leave to soak and providing there's enough space for flue gases to pass bring the boiler on to dry it out. Once dry tackle it.
I've seen blocked condensate do this several times and its never an easy job. You also want to take burner out and maybe line the inside of boiler with old newspapers before trying to clean.
This is going to be dirty.

Good luck.
Thanks. I'll try and run the burner without baffles and the with the air slide well open.
I wondered about Dualx I've never had one as bad as this and with the flueways do hard to access.

Your responses have to be cleared by admin because you're a new member, so I'm only just seeing it. I've haven't used dualx, although I've had a quick look online and the product looks OK. I've also run it through some of my fellow oil engineers with conflicting results. Some only do the old scraper and hoover method and some have said that the kamco cleaning products are better.
Are you a home owner or an engineer?

Your responses have to be cleared by admin because you're a new member, so I'm only just seeing it. I've haven't used dualx, although I've had a quick look online and the product looks OK. I've also run it through some of my fellow oil engineers with conflicting results. Some only do the old scraper and hoover method and some have said that the kamco cleaning products are better.
Are you a home owner or an engineer?
Thanks for taking the time.
I'm an engineer but pretty much retired. Just trying to help an elderly neighbour who's stuck.
Gas boilers mostly have a sensor that shuts the boiler down if the condensate backs up and I feel the lack of something similar here is not good.
The condensate neutraliser is not easy to access and the installer didn't make it clear,although of course that's open to misunderstanding.
The install was one of the current rash of government funded initiatives where a team undertake different aspects of the job,fast,but perhaps a little hurried.No judgement intended.
I'm a scraper and hoover man too but the sludge from the backed up condensate is really nasty,even with a mask.
I'll have a look at Kamco,I've used them on system flushing in the past.
Once again,thanks for taking the time.Appreciated.

No worries. Happy to help.
Of course this being a Firebird you're probably a little more lucky its a downfiring burner. I've known blocked condensate take out control boxes and other burner components in other boilers.
Also I would advise to your neighbour about upgrading the standard plastic condensate trap to the updated stainless steel one if not already.

Yea I saw the modified trap which looks far superior,and won't melt of course! I didn't look closely but Im assuming the trap spigot screws into a tapping in the boiler bottom.
For reference the Dualx guy was very helpful and familiar with this model with narrow flueways and gave detsailed instructions on clearing it using the chemical.
I[ll post back on how it goes.
Many thanks.
Mick.

Reply to Firebird flue problem in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock