Discuss First question... (probably of many) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

W_C_Fields

Subscribed
Hello, All. Complete DIYer here, but I'll try not to sound too ignorant..

I recently noticed that my shower pan had developed a rust hole. It wasn't huge, but I decided I'd better do the reasonable rational thing and rip the whole thing out! I thought, I can get an acrylic one from Bunnings and install it myself - how hard can it be?

Well, I won't bore you with details that you can probably easily imagine, but I now have a vacant concrete space with partially-removed walls and a drain sticking up out of the ground, and a new pan waiting to be attached to said drain. This is after one contractor has already come and gone and done a crap job which forced me to rip out his work and start again, hopefully with a new contractor.

But this is the question, (and the point of this post) - I called a local plumber and explained the situation. And I also happened to mention that the previous plumber hadn't even put down a mortar bed under the pan. Surprisingly, he told me that it was a job for a tiler, not a plumber!! I queried that, but he repeated it. He said to install the shower pan I'd need a tiler.

Now, I don't know if he thought I was only talking about the mortar bed and not the drain, but I'm thoroughly confused, and I don't want to go and pester the local plumbers if they're all going to tell me it's not what they do.

So, can anyone tell me what's the score here? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Another member that is in auz and is a plumbing contractor he will be around soon to advise if he can

Post some pics of what you have.

I am confused also to what your situation is
I have a shower cubicle from which the pan has been removed, and I want to replace it. I've had one try, using tradies, but they did a less-than-good job, and didn't put down a mortar base before installing the new pan. The result was that it wobbled and squeaked when stood on. I didn't get them back to fix it because I didn't consider them reliable. So I ripped it out again. Now I have a cubicle that looks like the photo. I want to get a good tradesman in to do the job this time, but I've been told that installation of shower pans is a Tiler job, not a Plumber job. I want to know, so that I don't waste any more time calling plumbers when I should be calling tilers.

Attachments

• shwr.jpg
    shwr.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 9

Reply to First question... (probably of many) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back