Search the forum,

Discuss First time this has happened!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to quote a job today & arrived a few minutes after are pre-arranged time... Just as I was turning into the driveway noticed another plumber parking up on the drive also!!!

What would you guys do in this scenario??? Has it happened to you before!?

i was tempted to just turn around & drive off but parked up, had a joke with the other plumber seemed nice enough & them we knocked on the door together lol!

The job was a nightmare anyway, typical custard wants pipes hidden & chased into walls, chased into screed & chipboard floors to throw in the mix also... I just pretended to measure up & bided my time till I could get out if there!! Cheeky b@@@@y custards!!

It happened to me a couple of times never really bothered me. Job sounds like a pig tho!

Had one a couple of months back in an up market block of apartments, rang the buzzer to get in took the lift to the 4th floor and the women said "Your mates already started" which left me a bit puzzled. As I walked towards the bathroom I could tell by the smell that nobody had turned the power off and it was going to be a little "ripe" in the bathroom.

There I found this young lad with his T-shirt pulled up over his nose and his eyes were streaming water due to the power being on so the heat from the motor was acting like a kettle heating the water and the contents in the sani.

Turns out he wasn`t one of ours so when he said "Do you wanna do it?" I declined as he had already started and laughed all the way back to the van.

Had one a couple of months back in an up market block of apartments, rang the buzzer to get in took the lift to the 4th floor and the women said "Your mates already started" which left me a bit puzzled. As I walked towards the bathroom I could tell by the smell that nobody had turned the power off and it was going to be a little "ripe" in the bathroom.

There I found this young lad with his T-shirt pulled up over his nose and his eyes were streaming water due to the power being on so the heat from the motor was acting like a kettle heating the water and the contents in the sani.

Turns out he wasn`t one of ours so when he said "Do you wanna do it?" I declined as he had already started and laughed all the way back to the van.

Gotta be brave to strip & put your hands in a saniflo without isolating the power lol!!!

i usually try and get at least a tenner out of them for wasting my time..short of telling them to foff

Gotta be brave to strip & put your hands in a saniflo without isolating the power lol!!!

Funnily enough I forgot to mention that as I take it granted. Wonder if he still had all his fingers at the end? lol

Two things really annoy me, -
Pricing a job for someone who has already decided to do it themselves or get another person, but secretly wants or needs a quote or to use your brains for advice.
Or, getting asked to come and fix faulty new work done by some cowboy plumber for big money, yet the customer knew you well and hadn't given you the work in the first place. Nothing worse getting asked to fix a leak at a rad valve on a brand new several £1000s job, " because the guy wouldn't come back" or " doesn't work weekends" !!

Last edited:
Pricing a job for someone who has already decided to do it themselves or get another person, but secretly wants or needs a quote or to use your brains for advice.
Or, getting asked to come and fix faulty new work done by some cowboy plumber for big money, yet the customer knew you well and hadn't given you the work in the first place. Nothing worse getting asked to fix a leak at a rad valve on a brand new several £1000s job, " because the guy wouldn't come back" or " doesn't work weekends" !!

you been reading my diary's?

your just jealous coz you work weekends :) but if they are going for loads of quotes I just e mail an estimate that I add on around £600 above the norm, sometimes they call you and ask you to match the price of one of the others, I always refuse to do dutch auctions I say, and more often or not you still cop the job. Dont understand their thinking on this one when it happens though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to First time this has happened!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys thankfully not been needing to com on for a while but could do with a pointer. 2 weeks ago I noticed boiler didn’t fire for hot water in...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock