Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a new towel warmer (pressurized boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

j4g3d

Hi guys new here.

I am a fairly competent DIYer but i have never really attempted to change a radiator. Well that is what i need to do, remove my old rad and fit a towel warmer.

Q1
Firstly the rad is half inch too wide for the original pipes sticking out my bathroom floor, whats the best way to adjust these to match the towel rad perfectly? could i get away with hand bending them inwards slightly? or should i purchase some 45degree elbows and solder them on?

Q2
I have a pressurized system, i think the boiler brand is BAXI or MAXI?. Anyway is there any tips or guides on how i drain the system upstairs so i can replace this rad? I have had a quick look and this is what i THINK i need to do....please correct me if im wrong....

DRAINING BOILER
1.turn off boiler
2.fit hose to kitchen rad and drain
3.wait for pressure to go to zero on boiler
4.remove vents on upstairs rads
5.remove valves from upstairs rads, remove old rad and fit new
6.connect loop to the loop valves under boiler and open ballofix valve
7.fill system and check pressure then bleed rads

FILLING BOILER BACK
1 Connect flexible pipe
2 Open mains first and the boiler pipe valve next
3 Once filled to pressure close boiler valve and bleed air out
4 Open boiler valve and pressure into the green zone
5 Close boiler valve close cold fill valve
6 Remove flexible pipe

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS I FOUND ONLINE FOR FILLING:
1.Firstly you need to locate the filling hose and see if it is attached to both ends of the pipe (mains cold water to boiler pipe). Make sure both ends of the hose are attached to the valves properly. The hose should be located close to the boiler, and in most cases it is under the kitchen sink.
2.Depending on how the installer has chosen to install the filling hose, there may be a valve at either end or a valve at only one end.
3.Next we need to open the valve(s) to allow water to fill from our mains cold water to our heating system. You will be able to hear the water filling into the boiler. This tells us that the system if filling up.
4.Continue to fill your system until the gauge on the front of the boiler in at the required 1.5 in the green zone.
5.What you then need to do is isolate the valve(s). This ensures there is no more water entering the central heating system. What you don’t want to happen is for the needle to keep going up.
6.You then need to release the filling loop from the pipe. Expect a bit of water to come out of the loop, but if the water continues to come out you will then need to tighten the valve. If you exceed the green area on the pressure gauge you can simply bleed the radiators in your home and the pressure will go down.

Could any decent person please check this and let me know if it looks good?

Would be very much grateful

Don't try and force the pipes you may break something. Have you ever attempted any plumbing before? This is not a good project for a first go at plumbing.

Don't try and force the pipes you may break something. Have you ever attempted any plumbing before? This is not a good project for a first go at plumbing.
i have changed a few taps...etc before but never fitted a rad. It seems easy as long as i follow it to the dot.....?

make sure you have a local plumbers number to hand, everything seems easy until your paddling around!

I bet this ends in tears..

Thanks for the heads up,

The radiator instructions also suggest any DIY able person can fit it.

So is there any help on this forum? I've already got the above info from another non plumbing forum from members who are plumbers but i thought the extra piece of advice wouldn't go a miss..........

you might need a pipe slice and some compression elbows also a bit of copper pipe the rad is dead easy its mating up the pipework that may prove a little frustrating half inch is a bit tight to bridge but good luck and let us jnow how you get on mate

you might need a pipe slice and some compression elbows also a bit of copper pipe the rad is dead easy its mating up the pipework that may prove a little frustrating half inch is a bit tight to bridge but good luck and let us jnow how you get on mate

Thanks bud,

I have got a few 45 degree elbows and a couple of straight couplers just in case. Also can grab a 3m 15mm piping if i need for under a tenner.

Im pretty confident in doing the rad but its the boiler and draining process from it im not 100% confident on.

Also i just fitted a new pan, and flusher inc all connections..... quite like plumbing!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a new towel warmer (pressurized boiler) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock