Discuss Flue distance from structual opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

basildog

My mate (structual engineer ) wants his new boiler in the kitchen but the distance from the window reveal to the wall is only 220mm now I know the flue will be elbowed up and away from the opening so that is not the question he has in his head that there should be 150mm clear before forming flue opening I always thought it was 100mm which is still pushing it !
Any thoughts ?

That is the answer I expected but the question is the opening not the termination ?

Yes I know that I am not explaining it very well the flue will be terminated away from the opening it is how close to the window the core can be I suppose is really the question .
combustion air can be drawn 150 mm from an opening I know but again in this case that will not work either as I have seen a plume kit used in that case this is about purely the hole ?

Fanned but that is not the issue it is the proximty of the core to the edge of the structual opening ?

Unless one really, really wants to. Have to stand way back though! ;)

We all think that but the funny thing is I was talking to him about just that and actually it can normally be proved that the weight i.e the load above will be cantilevered to the opposite side even if you removed the bricks below one side .
He is a bit of a whizz with calcs as you would expect often doing silly calcs when bored ,down to proving an vertical broom stick wil carry a load of more than a tonne ! Why would you bother ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We all think that but the funny thing is I was talking to him about just that and actually it can normally be proved that the weight i.e the load above will be cantilevered to the opposite side even if you removed the bricks below one side .
He is a bit of a whizz with calcs as you would expect often doing silly calcs when bored ,down to proving an vertical broom stick wil carry a load of more than a tonne ! Why would you bother ?

You are the Boss. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue distance from structual opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back