Discuss Flue distance from structual opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not even doing the job he is a mate and another mate was there this morning to do platering etc they wanted advice on where the flue will be going I am now thinking he will have to take another route which then throws up a whole new set of problems !!!!!!

From what I understand if for example it states 300mm from an opening then the actual core hole needs to be 300mm away not the flue terminal. Im sure it was in the June 2014 edition of Registered Gas Engineer not long ago about it, Basically it stops you being able to use a plume kit to get the terminal the required distance away etc.

flues.jpg

Dimensions A, B and C are 300mm for a fanned flue

Last edited by a moderator:
In reply to Myles
That is not how I understood it and have seen a few installs not complying with that then !
It was alaways 150 mm for air and yes 300 for poc but a flue could be elbowed externally or as you say a plume kit used .
Is this another rule change ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked tb016 says plume management kit must not be used to circumnavigate standards. My lecturer pointed it out and he is a gs inspector too that was his take on it so I stick to that lol

Just had him on the phone again after I gave him the good news !
2 options now as window opening to patio door only 560 mm so going between not an option .
Ist option is wall mounted boiler below window which I doubt will fit
2nd option flue into ceiling void trimming out 2 joists
Original boiler was wall mounted below window and sounds like an old balanced flue from his description

My take on it is that you are ok forming or coring 150mm from a structual opening but as you say a plume kit cannot be used but an elbowed flue termination can as long as the termination point is 300mm from opening ?

I think the main point he was making was the actual core hole being the required distance away as that is classed as the flue termination from the building. I just make sure the hole is required distance away that way nothing can be said! It may have been updated in BS after TB016.

I get what you are saying but am sure that is not the case as the termination is where the poc`s` are discharged surely ?
Better tell him to get night storage heaters I think !
I can see why a plume kit is not allowed but surely a purpose made flue elbow is ?

I think it could be to do with if the flue failed at the exit point then the 'outlet' could then end up too close to an opening, you should install the flue with the hole at minimum distance as though it would be a horizontal terminal in the first place and then route it along whichever route is required.

I have just read the technical data for vaillant variable termination kit and that seems to blow all the regs and rules out of the window ??????
Confused . com

Yes a phone call to them may be in order I think !
Has anyone ever used one when in a fix then ?

You have to love all these so called rules and regs as this all seems to make a total nonsense of them all ?
My mate now says core it 25mm from opening and sleeve flue through 150mm steel pipe or box section that will now carry load not there really is any .
This all ok until Mr I go by the standard rules and that is 150mm and 300 mm respectively turns up to do a service or gas safety check this will do his bonce in ?????

some manufacturers allow you to be 150mm from a structual opening if you plume away. Worcester bosch being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue distance from structual opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock