Search the forum,

Discuss Free quotations right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
"Can you quote for a new boiler if mine isnt repairable.?"

IF YOU WANT ME TO FAULT FIND ON YOUR BOILER THATS A CALL OUT!!!!!

Happens far too often!

If I had a pound for every job I went out to that actually needed extra work or new item and was sent away with a " thanks for coming" but no offer to pay a penny, I would have a few thousand £s. Terrible when you think of it!

Last edited:
Just say I will knock the price of the call out off if they go with you. Then maybe add a little bit on for being cheeky.

Boilers not working can you give me a price to fix it.

Yes no problem. It's 60 quid for the diagnosis then I can give you a price to repair :)

They think they are being clever and you can charge twice :)

Normally its a case of if I'm going to a broken down boiler it's to fix it.

Treat it as a normal breakdown, if its a write off and they're going with you for a new boiler deduct your diagnostic fee of the boiler price
Be sure to put it on top first though :disguise:

It takes them a couple of hours to try it on elsewhere but they always call back.
I'm always much busier when they call back ;)

Last edited:
If I had a pound for every job I went out to that actually needed extra work or new item and was sent away with a " thanks for coming" but no offer to pay a penny, I would have a few thousand £s. Terrible when you think of it!

Basically, you go to the call out and diagnosis the boiler fault for free ? You do not see any sort of penny ?

just been to a broken boiler for a service and repair, replaced exp and service £241, not a problem as far as I can see :)

Basically, you go to the call out and diagnosis the boiler fault for free ? You do not see any sort of penny ?

Yes, that's exactly what happens on not only boiler faults but also any plumbing jobs that I tell the customer it needs something done or purchased they don't expect.
What can you do with someone that says thanks I will think about that and arrange with you later? I know it is thoughtless and perhaps often greedy for a customer to use up my time and not offer any money, but it happens with most professions.

i carry 5 items to the front door, a flat & pozi drive, 6'' bahco, grips & 3'' torch.
if i use any of them its min charge, stand there and talk or to give price no charge.
free fact finders, i cut it short and leave

Before i went on my own, someone called to have a cooker piped up,
As it was on my way I told her it would be £40 (inc parts!!!) And booked in.
When i arrived with tools and parts she was confused as she only wanted a quote and someone else was coming round later too.

I resisted swinging the cooker hose that i'd just bought, advised her to accept the next quote and wished her luck :dita:

Well, learn from your mistakes and tell people how much it will cost them for you to attend.

Bring an invoice book with you and a Credit Card machine.
Life is a lot easier when you have some dough in your pocket.

Yes, that's exactly what happens on not only boiler faults but also any plumbing jobs that I tell the customer it needs something done or purchased they don't expect.
What can you do with someone that says thanks I will think about that and arrange with you later? I know it is thoughtless and perhaps often greedy for a customer to use up my time and not offer any money, but it happens with most professions.

Don't you worry " Best " it happens to all of us as well as to me on daily basic. This week so far I had surely 6 quotes ... Almost all of them " thank you for coming down and responding so quick, we appreciate . But that's all you get ...

What I hate is if you have got a customer which has no clue whatsoever but trying to tell you eg changing a shower pump " it's straight forward job , everything easy accessible and should not take long " what they are already trying to tell you is I don't wanna pay more than " 50elizabeth " ... This is what drives me crazy ... They've got no clue but telling you it doesn't take long and everything should be very easy ... But once you tell them it will cost 100/200£ they going crazy

i carry 5 items to the front door, a flat & pozi drive, 6'' bahco, grips & 3'' torch.
if i use any of them its min charge, stand there and talk or to give price no charge.
free fact finders, i cut it short and leave

That's what I'm doing next time... If someone calls me out there won't be any bargain ... Either you pay for a service you asked for or you need to look for someone else's

That's what I'm doing next time... If someone calls me out there won't be any bargain ... Either you pay for a service you asked for or you need to look for someone else's

Tell them on the phone what your call out charge is. Don't be shy. I tell people now. Then if they say ok I'll go, if they start quibbling I say it's their choice but let me know. I also ask, if they start quibbling, if they're looking for a cheap job & if they are I'm not their man. I'm not rude but I make sure they understand.

I've had too many wasters to bother with. I'm happy to look & fix. Don't really do larger jobs so don't really go to quote. I sort of know how much I want for a tap swap, toilet fix etc. Maybe one day I'll tuck myself up but happy with the smaller jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Free quotations right? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock