Discuss free standing bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moony

from bath store - had a night mare fitting it.

basically its a bath on legs that sits inside a surround - the surround, is bolted to floor with clamps... easy eh... the hot and cold is concealed in the surround easy so far - so is the waste.... ok can sort that out....

here comes the stupid bit.... the bath itself is lowered into the the surround then the surround is screwed up to the bath.... how the flippinhell do you connect the waste ? there is no room for a flexi waste (which i dont like to use anyway) the bath taps yeah ok use long flexis and when bath lowered take the chance on the flexis sitting without kinking as lowered but the waste? you cant attach trap to waste and lower and screw in from above to attach waste as its a pop up waste controlled by overflow. hope ive explained this well - and anyones thoughts on how to do this easier next time - (we have managed it but it wasa bodge really drilled through side of surround as it was close to wall (but these baths normally go in middle of the room)!

went to a house with one of these in the middle of the floor. it had a leak on the waste, took one look at it and thought i aint gonna get that out in one piece. kindly said im to busy and walked away. feel sorry for the bloke who has to rip that thing out. bathroom was really nicely done aswell, only 2 years old. original installer refused to come back, smells like trouble to me lol

its just pathetic! whoever designed it needs shooting seriously. i would like to here how bathstore suggest to install it fair enough if you could put the bath in the surround and then lower onto the waste so to speak and fasten from below as 2 people hold it up? its justr uninstallable to the standard i would normally install to.

sorry i missed that piece of info 'bathstore' say no more...

i charge +30% on top now if i come across any more of their stuff.lol.

Yes as martin has said ,We did one last year and used one of those flexi 1 1/2 mcalpine waste pipes, that I didnt know existed until somone mentioned them on this forum. http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/FlexibleWasteConnector40Mm234908
bit like one of these, 40mm male on one end, then a compression female coupling on the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah black cat ive seen them - but even with that it would be a struggle

red - honestly mate this was priced off plan and standard bathroom instals - no plans of bathroom so had to guess so to speak - customer project managed own job and was never on site - plumbers got blamed for everything - you know the score - yeah basin there mate - fine first fixed for basins on four bathrooms - they come and theyre all semi peds on plaster board walls - refused to fit without supports - and informed customer the tiling would have to come off to re-arrange pipe work for semi ped. just a mare of a job and the bath topped it off to be fair.

We fitted one of these about a year and half ago. We got round it by not bolting the bottom base to the floor, then slotted the two together and tipped it backwards to connect the supply and trap up. Still was a pig.

Then we siliconed the base down. It was littlerly the only way to do it on our job without having the ceiling below cut apart.

As you say, the designer must have total contempt for plumbers. Luckilly our client could see it was a pig of a job and was understanding about it.

i never first fix if the stuff isnt on site or ive got mis drawings to work to just to many varibles especially up market stuff
bathstore stuff is a nightmare i had a freestanding bath that comes with an inch trap and still didnt fit below the baththey wasnt happy when i told them they needed the bath raising to get a proper trap under

Last edited:
Is the bathroom up stairs ???? . Had the same job myself a few years ago. The only way i could see was from the down stairs room ! With the customers understanding of the job in hand and the "I never thought about that when i bought it " Cut a hatch in the ceiling and linked the waste, hot, cold up in the void. Then put in a neat slimline access panel .

yeah its upstairs - to be honest ive washed my hands with the job and i certainly will be quoting more when installing something like that in the future - needed 3 men, 2 to lift it and me to lean in off the ground floor roof through the window! to get at the back of the bath.should of you tubed it!

"ground floor roof through the window!" and 3 lads to help , the things you have to do . Its nice to do something different now and again but this is a joke......
It would have been a Youtube hit :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to free standing bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock